MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

1st timer Plans change

flatlandbadger

Within the next week I was set to leave for my first speed goat hunt in Wyo after reading and watching all the post traffic here since January. Please allow me to vent. I've had some torso issues though of late. I'm on the edge of my sixth decade and am beginning to deal with middle age health realities and genetics. In May I had a Miniscus tear and surgery that slowed down my prep physically for walking about. Then within the last month my left foot on the other side started getting sore. Probably for overcompensating the other leg?? Friday was diagnosed with Planters Fasciitis and earlier today while doing some obscure outdoor house chores, heard and felt a pop in same foot. Now I can't walk. Another Dr. visit needed to evaluate the foot. So now this year may be lost. What I'm reading elsewhere that this is a probable Planters Fac. tear. Painful. Painful timing!! I've been looking forward to this for a long time. Coming out alone, scouting, BLM camping, visiting some ole stomping grounds on the side. Well then, off my chest. This too is part of life and the real hunting experience. Hoping now to delay by a week or so if possible, and get out there in a protective boot still. For those who believe in prayer, I'll take em. Vent over.

I’ve felt your pain....literally. Felt the pop. Couldn’t walk. Couldn’t put weight on it. The whole 9 yards. Recovery time?........your mileage may vary. All I can tell you is it heals on its own and will heal 100% if given time. PM me if you want more details on my own experience and treatment.....I won’t bore the forum with it.

I’ve felt your pain....literally. Felt the pop. Couldn’t walk. Couldn’t put weight on it. The whole 9 yards. Recovery time?........your mileage may vary. All I can tell you is it heals on its own and will heal 100% if given time. PM me if you want more details on my own experience and treatment.....I won’t bore the forum with it.
Tech isn't my forte. How do I PM you?

Been thinking about your situation. My son used this device when he broke his ankle. It was very helpful for him to get around a college campus. Maybe it’ll be helpful for you, and even allow you to make the hunt.

Been thinking about your situation. My son used this device when he broke his ankle. It was very helpful for him to get around a college campus. Maybe it’ll be helpful for you, and even allow you to make the hunt.

Thanks bub for the concern and idea around my NEW issue! I'm hoping delaying my journey a bit to rest, and then having perhaps a stable medical walking boot will be good enough. I see the Dr today in the afternoon. I hope she doesn't dash my wish with her prognosis.

Hope you get out there. With a little luck, some more planning, and a few adjustments I’d think you could still have a great time. I found out a few weeks ago that I ruptured a disc in my lower back. I’ll still be hauling my Dad out there in a few weeks.

Get out there and have a good time. Looking forward to reading about the adventure. Good luck.

Welcome to the wonderful world of old age. 2 things tho that you should never hear from your doctor. It's just old age and if only you'd come to see me sooner.

Within the next week I was set to leave for my first speed goat hunt in Wyo after reading and watching all the post traffic here since January. Please allow me to vent. I've had some torso issues though of late. I'm on the edge of my sixth decade and am beginning to deal with middle age health realities and genetics. In May I had a Miniscus tear and surgery that slowed down my prep physically for walking about. Then within the last month my left foot on the other side started getting sore. Probably for overcompensating the other leg?? Friday was diagnosed with Planters Fasciitis and earlier today while doing some obscure outdoor house chores, heard and felt a pop in same foot. Now I can't walk. Another Dr. visit needed to evaluate the foot. So now this year may be lost. What I'm reading elsewhere that this is a probable Planters Fac. tear. Painful. Painful timing!! I've been looking forward to this for a long time. Coming out alone, scouting, BLM camping, visiting some ole stomping grounds on the side. Well then, off my chest. This too is part of life and the real hunting experience. Hoping now to delay by a week or so if possible, and get out there in a protective boot still. For those who believe in prayer, I'll take em. Vent over.

Your post hit home with me. Next week I'm heading to Wyoming solo for my first antelope hunt. I'm 59 and feeling some of the same age related issues. Getting old is not for sissys, we gotta be tough. What unit are you hunting in? What dates? Send me a PM if you like. Perhaps I could be of help to you.

I believe in prayer, you will be in mine. Absolutely go on the hunt, hunt from the truck if needed and you will still have a great time.
I am 52 and heading out to Wyoming early Oct to take my youngest son on his 1st western hunt. My brother (54) will be along with his youngest son as first timers too.
Both our boys have tags my brother and I do not have tags but are along for the ride as chauffeurs, money men, camp cooks and poor excuses for guides.
I think I am looking forward to this hunt more than my son, I took my oldest son out to Wyoming three times a number of years ago. By far the funnest hunts I
have ever been on were the antelope one's.

Last edited:
Have been suffering from plantar fasciitis for over a year now and once you get to the point that you can put some weight on it I'd highly recommend you get the right pair of shoes. I bought a pair of Hoka Bondi 6 shoes from REI and they have been a Godsend, most of the pain and discomfort is gone when walking any distance and they are well worth the money. When I get home from work (on my feet most of the time) I'll put on a pair of Merrells with orthotic inserts for around the house and yard. Do the exercises recommended and DO NOT GO BAREFOOT. Hope it improves soon. The Hokas will need to be a full size larger than you normally wear since I usually wear a pair of thick merino socks and they help also.

Hope you get out there. With a little luck, some more planning, and a few adjustments I’d think you could still have a great time. I found out a few weeks ago that I ruptured a disc in my lower back. I’ll still be hauling my Dad out there in a few weeks.

Get out there and have a good time. Looking forward to reading about the adventure. Good luck.
Well, good for you! Coming from MKE area? Im around Rockford. Waiting for results of my MRI, then final decisions. Hoping to leave delayed already, later this week.

I believe in prayer, you will be in mine. Absolutely go on the hunt, hunt from the truck if needed and you will still have a great time.
I am 52 and heading out to Wyoming early Oct to take my youngest son on his 1st western hunt. My brother (54) will be along with his youngest son as first timers too.
Both our boys have tags my brother and I do not have tags but are along for the ride as chauffeurs, money men, camp cooks and poor excuses for guides.
I think I am looking forward to this hunt more than my son, I took my oldest son out to Wyoming three times a number of years ago. By far the funnest hunts I
have ever been on were the antelope one's.
If there is a way to handle the trip out, I'll hunt from near the truck, if that's what it takes. Thank you.

Have been suffering from plantar fasciitis for over a year now and once you get to the point that you can put some weight on it I'd highly recommend you get the right pair of shoes. I bought a pair of Hoka Bondi 6 shoes from REI and they have been a Godsend, most of the pain and discomfort is gone when walking any distance and they are well worth the money. When I get home from work (on my feet most of the time) I'll put on a pair of Merrells with orthotic inserts for around the house and yard. Do the exercises recommended and DO NOT GO BAREFOOT. Hope it improves soon. The Hokas will need to be a full size larger than you normally wear since I usually wear a pair of thick merino socks and they help also.
It's already Planters Fasc., just a matter IF I also tore a tendon(s) or created a Stress Fracture. I'll know early to mid week. Good, quality shoes have been way of life for me for sometime. Orthodics being made, foot in a walking boot and my days of barefoot anything are past as I also have Neuropathy, certainly a partner in this. Thank you for expressing your concern and experience. I'm never done learning.

Well, a great update to share. Im cleared from any tears or stress fracture with an MRI. I dont know how, but apparently bruised a foot bone and tendons below and outside of ankle. Swelling aggravated my existing planters fasciitis. Early this week my swelling suddenly went down completely over two days, and I got out of my protective boot. I was released Wednesday. The 180 degree change happened so fast, it goes without my understanding. But pure joy on my part. Maybe staying in the boot and being immobilized helped heal it faster?
Tonight I sit in a Mitchell SD hotel. On Sunday I'll do some scouting in the Unit and then let the fun begin. I just wanted to say thanks to those that responded to my initial angst with many kind words, prayers and advice. I guess the joy IS in the journey. Thank you, and God, again.

Well, a great update to share. Im cleared from any tears or stress fracture with an MRI. I dont know how, but apparently bruised a foot bone and tendons below and outside of ankle. Swelling aggravated my existing planters fasciitis. Early this week my swelling suddenly went down completely over two days, and I got out of my protective boot. I was released Wednesday. The 180 degree change happened so fast, it goes without my understanding. But pure joy on my part. Maybe staying in the boot and being immobilized helped heal it faster?
Tonight I sit in a Mitchell SD hotel. On Sunday I'll do some scouting in the Unit and then let the fun begin. I just wanted to say thanks to those that responded to my initial angst with many kind words, prayers and advice. I guess the joy IS in the journey. Thank you, and God, again.

You could call a game processor where you're going and talk to them. They know stuff about the local area. They may be able to get you connected. Mite want to offer something for his/her time [maybe some good grub from you area] or whatever. A couple cases of Spotted Cow if you're from Wisconsin. Make sure that there's no appearance of outfitting, but there's no law against hunting with a friend. Good luck.

Back