1st timer Plans change

Well just thought I'd provide my final input to this thread. First of all, let me tell you how encouraged I was by your responses to my frustration. I did get out to Unit 26 last weekend and Monday, not this past one, after setting up Sunday night on a nice windless site. That's a joke. All ready to go Monday and headed out in the direction I saw Speedgoats about 600 -1,000 yds on a ridge watching me nonchalantly the sunset eve before. I walked in slow using the prevailing wind to my advantage, sneeking down a few draws and up a few ridges before I stepped into uneven ground with my bad foot and 'popped' it painfully again. But I wasn't going to stop. Made it near to the top of a further ridge and was spotted by a few heads popping over the ridge. Dropped everything but rifle, down to all fours and gingerly moved diagonally to adjacent crest and there they were down the next draw watching this odd thing above them. Set up my bipod while reeling in foot pain and being out of breath. Really nice buck gave his profile twice, but I just couldn't exhale without quickly needing a breath again. Should have taken the shot. HEARD THAT BEFORE?? And as I caught my breath they bantered off over the next ridge into private land. Went back to campsite, got my walking sticks then stayed out on foot the rest of the day in another direction up and down all sorts of draws and ridges. By the time 530ish pm rolled around and me being approx. 2.5 miles away from campsite; with my foot screaming at me with every kind of step forward. I made it back as the Sun set and the wind direction changed to out of the northwest. Weather App said two days of very marginal weather and I knew my foot was done for a long time, I pulled up stakes and pulled out. Iced foot for two days in a Casper motel and traveled onward to distant relatives in Laramie. A great time with them eased the initial disappointment of my quick failure. One week removed I feel goood that I stalked as close as 75-100 yds undetected AND know I would be eating that meat if not for my issues. I'll listen to my Dr now, knowing this is going to be a slow recovery. Thought I'd share this not in disappointment, but from what I learned from this. Pack lighter, get physically in shape, bring a newbie next time. AND, ... do it again. I love Wyoming! What a privilege you residents better never take for granted.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back