1st drive lesson

Around 8-9 years old dad took me on some dirt roads by the house in his 69 C10 with a 4 speed and let me learn that way. From 11 on I was driving tractors, hay wagons, feed trucks etc.

I had the 52' Jimmy til 1986 & traded it & a 51' Chevy PU for a 37' Dodge 1T & a 67'Falcon Ranchero hotrod. Both the Jimmy & Chevy were 5 window models.235's.
Didn't the '51 have the starter plunger mounted on the floor next to the gas pedal? '52 might have also, can't remember. I know I drove one of those old Chevys that was so equipped.

Good stories!! Here's mine:

11 years old. '54 Willy's. Still has the original tires. Up north at "the cabin." Gramps and a buddy built it outta crates shipped direct from the factory 25 years before I was born. Dad kept telling me, "Keep your hands at 12 and 2 dammit!" Which I did, but it only made my little brother laugh louder from the back seat. Eventually he realized it was 10 and 2, not 12 and 2 and the story lives on...

Was hoping my daughter would learn at the same age, same place, same vehicle, but she's a late bloomer and her legs don't reach the clutch. A few weeks ago (she's now 12) she took the quad into the trees when the road turned, so I guess we'll wait for next summer. My 9 year old son would drive it tomorrow if I'd let him, but he's got a few years to go.

Growing up on a farm in rural Oregon I don't remember what age or specific vehicle it was I first started driving. I do remember getting a ride home from the state patrol when I was 7 for riding my Honda on paved roads. He put my motorcycle in the trunk of his patrol car, I was worried I wouldn't get it back. First solo trip to town was at age 10, my brother called needing a ride home from some after-school activity so I took my dad's pickup and did the responsible thing you do when your brother needs a ride. My parents were late getting to the school and when my brother's friends said he had already left with his younger brother ....... well, they didn't think it was quite as responsible as I did.

Didn't the '51 have the starter plunger mounted on the floor next to the gas pedal? '52 might have also, can't remember. I know I drove one of those old Chevys that was so equipped.
Yeah both of mine did...the 37' Dodge...it also sported a crank starter.

11 or 12 in a 79 international scout traveller with the 392 v8 and 4 speed manual. Burnt around 1/2 tank in the quarter section driving around. Loved that vehicle.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back