1887 Winchester 12 ga lever action

buckbull

I have a pre-1900 Winchester 1887 12 guage that had its barrel swedged (spelling?). From what I understand a gunsmith would heat up the end of barrel and constrict the end from say an improved cylinder to a full choke. Of course this is way before threaded choke tubes. My question is how much does this effect the value of the shotgun if at all. Thinking about selling it.

Based on the guns serial number, it was manufactured in 1892-1893.

20230320_142418.jpg

20230320_142533.jpg

Gunsmith work impacting prices always depends on the quality of the work and if it was a reasonable modification.

If it’s done well and looks good. It may even help value.

If it looks like the plumber did the work….down it goes.

Gunsmith work impacting prices always depends on the quality of the work and if it was a reasonable modification.

If it’s done well and looks good. It may even help value.

If it looks like the plumber did the work….down it goes.
I'm not an expert but the only way I know it was altered is that my dad said he had that work done in order to use the gun primarily at Turkey shoots. By naked eye I cannot tell its been modified.

Doesn't appear to have changed the looks of it and really that's what's most important for a collectible. No one would be shooting that gun so looks are what's most important. Those are getting hard to find. I understand John Browning was never thrilled with that design but it was something Winchester more or less forced him to finish. He felt better about Model 97 pump. His hammerless shotgun design taken up by Marlin, Steven's, J.C. Higgins was a dud. The lever action design must have been strong enough as I've probably seen more of these survive in ten gauge than twelve.

@BrentD - what say you?
Sort of above my pay grade. It certainly did not add value.l, and i would be hesitant to buy it. The proper solution would be to jug choke it from the inside.

That said, if it shoots and wins then maybe it's an asset. It could be hyper tight now, however. That can be corrected by a pro for about $100.

I would definitely pattern it to see if it shoots where you point and as tight as you want and not more.

Your picture looks like a crease in the barrel, and if it is, the value is diminished significantly. Originality on old guns determines the value more than finish. The chamber in that gun is most likely 2 1/2 inches, the extractor, rotates down and will rarely fully eject a 2 3/4 inch shell…

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back