Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

.17 HMR recommendations for the wife?

Djfan

She is a target shooter, not a hunter, but a darn good shot. I want it to be light weight, but don't want to spend a lot.

Thought?

I've got a Savage and it is a very accurate little rifle. My son has the Bergara in a .22lr and that rifle is amazingly accurate, I know they make that in .17HMR as well.

Another savage 93 fan. Picked it up with a wood stock, bull barrel and scope for $199. Didn't need one. I already own a few 22 lr's but couldnt pass up the gun at the price. Since owning it, I haven't shot the 22's now for years. The 17 is just a sweet little cartridge. No kick, accurate, flat shooting and just seems to hold kill stuff out to 100 yards.

If you go up a wee bit to a 17 hornet you're out to 200 mtrs. Savage make them n so do cz a 527.

Savage is bargain entry and usually up to the task. I have a 93 package that I use for prairie dogs and when the wind is light I can take them at 200m. The Ruger American is another good bet at a tiny bit more money. Next step up would be the Tikka T1. From there you get into the Ruger Precision, Savage Precision, Bergara and CZ price range. Price range from about $300 to $1200 depending on models.

For a target shooter I think the Ruger Precision is the sweet spot at +-$499

I have the ruger precision there’s no way around it to my eye it’s ugly as hell but that sucker shoots. I like the magazines better than my savages magazines as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back