165 gr Nosler Trophy Bonded Bullet

bullhead

Trying to see if anyone has used these in 30:06 for elk? Tried 165 Accubond and they won't shoot in my son's Browning A-Bolt. Any info would be great.

If it's the Federal load that you're talking about, I wouldn't hesitate at all to use it on elk. It's a stouter bullet than the Accubond.

They have a 168 grain bonded performance bullet on their website. Have not tried those out yet.

I haven't hunted much yet with the Federal TBT, but my .308 and 7mm-08 both sure shoot it well. I shot a bear a few days ago with my .308 using a 165gn Fed TBT. It was about a 250 yard shot, not a huge bear, but the bullet did great. Expanded, passed through, and put the bear down fast. I didn't hit any large bones. Just ribs. I for one really like this bullets design, and I plan on hunting elk in the fall with the same load I used on the bear.

I like the concept of the Trophy Bonded Tip, and even moreso, the new Edge TLR from Federal, which owes its pedigree to the Trophy Bonded Tip and the original Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. I'm using the TLRs this year instead of the Accubond Long Range since I didn't get an exit on my mule deer last year.

I loaded some 165 gr for my 300wsm. Pretty devastating on my mule deer. Lots of hematoma in surrounding tissue to wound channel. The shot was about 325 yds and he went about 20 yds to pile up from a lung/shoulder shot. No bullet recovery.

I have had great luck with the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip although I use 180 grain in a 3006. I have taken 5 cow elk with them and they go down very quickly. My Winchester shoots them just as well as the Accubond.

I used to shoot the 180gr out of a .300WSM and liked it. I only shot one cow elk with it, but it dropped in its tracks. It's a very solid bullet with excellent weight retention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back