150 grain Winchester power point in 30-06

Kysteve

I have a good amount of 150 grain hunting rounds for my 30-06, primary shower point and soft point. It’s my go to round for deer hunting that’s never let me down but is it good enough to take on elk or should I try a heavier bullet? Could really use some input from some of the elk hunters here.
Thanks in advance

I bet they would kill elk fine under most circumstances, but unless the cost of two boxes of premium ammo is prohibitive for you, I'd choose something better; either an all copper bullet in the 150-168 range, or a bonded/partition type lead bullet in 165-200 grain. The up-side outweighs the down-side in my opinion.

Would probably work. I tended to up my fudge factor to a 180 gr. Partition. Even those bad boys I found under the hide on the back side on 150 yd and less distance shots. Got some pretty mushrooms though!

Some good information to work with. If I can find some 165 and 180 grain, “ammo around here is almost impossible to find” I’ll try them through my gun and see how the preform. Thanks guys!

I believe that a 150gr bullet from a 30-06 is to light. Problem being be off with the shot a bit and go in a shoulder and that light bullet at high velocity is gonna shed weight. Two things cause penetration, velocity and weight. To much velocity and not enough weight can be a disaster. Of course on the other hand that same 150gr bullet in that 30-06 in the right hands will kill every elk it's ever fired at. Secrete is in bullet placement and your ability to make the shot! The elk rifle I used most was my 30-06 and in it I use 180gr Hornady's. Two elk DOA right there! Also used my 6.5x06 on them with a 140gr Hornady. Three elk DOA right there. Secrete is placement with a bullet that will retain enough weight to get inside and destroy vitals!

If guys are killing elk with 140gr bullets out of a 7mm-08 or 6.5CM then you'll kill one with 150s out of a 30-06

Last edited:
Your 150's will work just fine. No need spend premium $$ and to try to find some "premium" ammo and hope they shoot well in your rifle.

Power Points are fine. I have killed several elk and several caribou with the 180s in my.300 Win Mag.

I have been using 150gr Accubonds in every hunting scenario from Coyote, Black Bear, Deer, antelope and Elk and have killed all without problem for over 20 years now. No need for more.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back