14 Peaks

I just watched the first 30 minutes or so of the Alpinist and thought to myself, there’s no way this guy is still living. I googled him and sure enough he died while climbing, actually on a decent. There’s a point in the documentary where one of the climbers says that half of the great climbers die while climbing. It scares me just watching it.
We stopped watching it while he was ice climbing. He was good, but the gf and I both said he wasn't going to live long. Very sorry that our instincts were correct, seemed like a life loving young man

Watched the documentary last night. There was a times I just shook my head, with those heavy packs and literally vertical climbs in high winds. Insane.

On another note, I couldn't help but wonder how handy these guys would be packing out an elk!

Pretty sure an 8 mile elk pack out to us is a walk to the John to take a leak for them

Yeah, they would be smoking cigs and taking shots while packing 2 elk quarters.

I had a friend in college from Nepal and he did a trip to CO and did several of the not easy 14ers in a short period of time. He thought they were enjoyable hikes but the mountains were just too small.

If any of you fellow hikers or climbers are looking for an amazing documentary, check out "14 Peaks" on Netflix. It's about a superhuman group of mountain climbers, quite inspiring.
Need to check it out. Into Thin Air flashbacks...

We stopped watching it while he was ice climbing. He was good, but the gf and I both said he wasn't going to live long. Very sorry that our instincts were correct, seemed like a life loving young man
I skipped to the end of the documentary where they talked about it. It was a really sad deal. They think they were caught in an avalanche. The bodies were never recovered. The girlfriend said something to the effect of, “they are part of the glacier now.”

I recall watching Alex Honnold's free climb production. Unbelievable...
I know they claim that guy’s really smart and I know he’s dedicated to his craft, but I just feel like he’s an asshole living on borrowed time.
I had no problem with the way 14 peaks incorporated purja’s mother into the storyline because moms are forever, but girlfriends can come and go and the way they incorporated Alex’s relationship with that chicken head into his documentary about one of the greatest feats of luck of all time disgusts me.
I also love the way she refers to herself as a “life and transition coach for the outdoor minded” on her IG when what she meant to put was “Alex honnolds girlfriend”
She couldn’t even stay focused long enough to keep the rope from going through the pulley when that was literally her only job.
How the hell can she be charging people $1000 for 2 months of life coaching.
😂😂😂

I know they claim that guy’s really smart and I know he’s dedicated to his craft, but I just feel like he’s an asshole living on borrowed time.
I had no problem with the way 14 peaks incorporated purja’s mother into the storyline because moms are forever, but girlfriends can come and go and the way they incorporated Alex’s relationship with that chicken head into his documentary about one of the greatest feats of luck of all time disgusts me.
I also love the way she refers to herself as a “life and transition coach for the outdoor minded” on her IG when what she meant to put was “Alex honnolds girlfriend”
She couldn’t even stay focused long enough to keep the rope from going through the pulley when that was literally her only job.
😂😂😂
It's a bargain if you never remove the earbuds...

Yea, that seemed to me an annoying and unnecessary focus but hey man, rock stars gonna rock star Yoko.

Last edited:
I also love the way she refers to herself as a “life and transition coach for the outdoor minded” on her IG when what she meant to put was “Alex honnolds girlfriend
😂😂😂
isn't it wife now?

isn't it wife now?
I think so, but she wasn’t at the time.
It’s just like one of the greatest feats of mountaineering athleticism ever accomplished and there’s just this random groupie who will forever be attached to it because she dropped her number at a book signing.

isn't it wife now?
I haven’t been tied in since the rock wall at the Indianapolis children’s museum when I was like 10 so I’m not super up to speed on how the whole thing works but it literally looked like she just let the end of the rope go through the pulley and freaking dropped him and nearly ruined the whole thing.
Just kinda seems like a day one unforgivable rule was broken.

I haven’t been tied in since the rock wall at the Indianapolis children’s museum when I was like 10 so I’m not super up to speed on how the whole thing works but it literally looked like she just let the end of the rope go through the pulley and freaking dropped him and nearly ruined the whole thing.
Just kinda seems like a day one unforgivable rule was broken.
one of my best friends took his gf out climbing and she did the same thing. He had to free solo back down. The story goes that when he hit the ground is lost his sh!t to such an extent that all the gear was packed up and they didn't speak for another month. However... they're now married with two great little kids. She's just not allowed to come climbing again.

having been at the same crag as Alex a couple of times He's probably safer on el cap than most people are walking down the sidewalk...I'd anticipate that if climbing is his eventual end it will be pure bad luck like Mark Andre... wrong place wrong time has caught up with way more of the cutting edge alpinist than blowing it on cutting edge stuff.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisw
Back