Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

14’ fishin boat setup

Four22

Picked up a 14’ 3 bench v hull boat this weekend and am thinking through setting it up to fish with my boys…

I have a 6hp Johnson outboard (grandpa gave it to me before he passed 🙂) and a trolling motor for it. We mainly plan to fish for crappie and pan fish but will definitely try a larger lake near by that is known for walleye, musky and striped bass.

Looking for input as what must haves are for smaller boats. Aside from the safety gear I have seats and a fish finder and some pole holders, but that’s about it.

Attachments

• BA91D082-276A-4E74-809C-AAB386EB6077.jpeg
    BA91D082-276A-4E74-809C-AAB386EB6077.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 31
P.S. if anyone has a short shaft for a 1967 Johnson 6hp outboard let me know.

grandpa had the shaft extension kit on it for his boat, but we couldn’t find the short shaft when we leaned out his shop.

PN: 0381026

engine model no: CD-24

I’m not sure what the max would be. There’s no plate on it.

the lake well hit normally is only 625 acres

Nice boat, I've had a couple like that.
+1 For getting the biggest outboard it will handle (probably 15-25hp) and go with electric start.
Decent fish finder.
Swivel seats mounted on the benches.
Front and rear anchors
Set of oars

Note - With small boats like that, I don't think a trolling motor is necessary or warranted. Transom mounted trollers aren't the best, plus you'll be adding a heavy battery. Big mistake I see lots of guys making with small boats is trying to turn them into bass boats, adding wood floors, crpet, pedistal seats, extra equipment, etc. all of which adds a bunch of weight and makes the boat perform poorly.

All makes sense. I have swivel seats for the back and a few pole holders to put on. Haven’t 100% decided how to mount the fish finder….

Definitely wasn’t going to mess with putting a floor or carpet in it.

and solid point on the trolling motor. Was hoping to troll walleye and Muskie and the smaller outboard should idle slow enough.

Thanks for the input!!

Don’t know the bottom makeup of your lake but be sure you have enough anchor size to hold your boat in a decent wind. I have NOT once or twice and constantly had to reposition during a hot bite and it was a PITA!

All makes sense. I have swivel seats for the back and a few pole holders to put on. Haven’t 100% decided how to mount the fish finder….

Definitely wasn’t going to mess with putting a floor or carpet in it.

and solid point on the trolling motor. Was hoping to troll walleye and Muskie and the smaller outboard should idle slow enough.

Thanks for the input!!
I'm no boat expert, but my grandparents had an old '67? Alumacraft with a small Evinrude outboard. If trolling was too fast in "forward" we'd troll in reverse for walleye. Worked well.

Picked up a 14’ 3 bench v hull boat this weekend and am thinking through setting it up to fish with my boys…

I have a 6hp Johnson outboard (grandpa gave it to me before he passed 🙂) and a trolling motor for it. We mainly plan to fish for crappie and pan fish but will definitely try a larger lake near by that is known for walleye, musky and striped bass.

Looking for input as what must haves are for smaller boats. Aside from the safety gear I have seats and a fish finder and some pole holders, but that’s about it.
You might consider all electric. I rigged up my last boat with a 12v trolling motor up front and a 24v motor in back. It would run all day and push 17 ft my alumicaft around the lark all day with no worries about maintaining the outboard. Mine has a 25hp Honda 4 stroke that was really great. I really liked the all electric set up.

You drop that motor in carburetor cleaner??? That motor has been very well cared or just came out of a time capsule! That's fantastic!

You drop that motor in carburetor cleaner??? That motor has been very well cared or just came out of a time capsule! That's fantastic!
Grandpa took care of things. I haven’t done anything to it other than an impeller and change the gear lube.

took me back to my childhood of fishing with him when I heard it running.

You might consider all electric. I rigged up my last boat with a 12v trolling motor up front and a 24v motor in back. It would run all day and push 17 ft my alumicaft around the lark all day with no worries about maintaining the outboard. Mine has a 25hp Honda 4 stroke that was really great. I really liked the all electric set up.
That may be an option down the road for sure.

right now I have the outboard so going that route but some of the new trolling motors are truly impressive.

Maiden voyage is Saturday. Motor had all fluids changed and idled in a bucket of water for 20 minutes, new tires and lights…. Hopefully catch at least 1 fish 😁

Attachments

• EAD0085A-0DDB-491A-9887-5B5310FFCAFC.jpeg
    EAD0085A-0DDB-491A-9887-5B5310FFCAFC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 23EEA819-3D76-40F7-B068-B4FC88D1FF7A.jpeg
    23EEA819-3D76-40F7-B068-B4FC88D1FF7A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
Back