12x50 Binos vs spotting scope

ewludwig

Gang,

I'm relatively new to the site. So far, I love what I see. Lot of down to earth folks doing it the right way. Therefore, I'm looking for some advice on optics. I currently own a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42. After this years hunt in WY, I realized I need to up my capabilities to spot game at longer distances and in low light.

Therefore, I figured I needed to add a spotting scope to my arsenal. However, before I get too serious in my search, I thought it may be worthwhile to consider just upgrading my binos to 12x50's. I would get a tripod either way. I figured this would serve my optical needs and cut down on weight.

Any thoughts out there? I typically spend 1-2 weeks out west. The rest of the year I'm hunting deer and waterfowl in MN.

Thanks in advance for your input-Ed

Get tripod and adapter for your binos. Lighter is best if backpackers. Spotters are nice at times though usually they are after spot something with eyes or binos and are now trying to see a bit clearer.

It's pretty tough to beat a spotter on a tripod. Even if you put 12X binos on a tripod it won't be anywhere near as good a 15x or 20x or higher spotter on a tripod.

Thanks LopeHunter. It seems guys with spotters sometimes leave them behind due to weight. If I go with just binos, I will likely upgrade to the Vortex Razor's or Swaro's. Differentiating between these two is another thread all by itself....

More background....we were glassing a clearcut on a ridgeline at the last 20 min of legal shooting light. The clearing had a bunch of stumps and debris making it difficult to glass into. Two decent deer were in the clearing that I couldn't see, but my buddy Ross picked them out using his Swaro spotter. They were probably only 700 yds away.

I use my binocs a whole lot more than my spotter. I mostly just use my spotter for target shooting anymore. Just never find much use for it while hunting.

I use both. 10x42 bino and 20-60x80 spotter. Can't tell you how many bedded bucks I've spotted with the spotter that I missed with the Binos. That 8" of antler sticking out of the sage may not be visible with your Binos, but pops right out with the spotter. 60 power confirms its a buck..

I bought the 15x56 Kaibab's this year and absolutely love them. I can glass for a lot longer without my eyes getting tired. I also still use the spotter to really check things out. I think they both have their place, it you're willing to carry them around. I should say I am using the Kaibabs on a tripod. I don't think they would be very effective without one.

....and if those idiots would have not trespassed to be able to drive their ATVs into the valley that we hiked into, I would have been able to slip 165grns of 300WSM behind that bigger bucks shoulder... but life goes on I guess.

Full disclosure: It was my swaro, and I am the primary peer pressure on him to buy a spotter, so my vote goes that way.

It seems ATV's turn a lot of people into idiots.

I confronted a couple of them, and asked if they realized they just trespassed, and they said they didn't realize there was private back there, and my response was then how did they know it was public right here....no response. Two dumba$$es actually blew my stalk on the two deer Ed was talking about that night. They drove right down the middle of the clearcut from the top, I started to back out, not wanting to blow the deer out worse, and the two idiots stopped and wanted to talk to me, to see if I had seen any deer or elk, and then proceeded to tell me that they had just been confronted by the rancher on the opposite side of the ridge, but as soon as they left him they trespassed again so they could drive down the middle of the clearcut. Their description was passed to the warden the next morning.

Now back to big old binos.....

BTW.....I had no problem spotting the ATV with its lights on with my binos...jerks. SHould have ignored the deer and called in a fire mission on the ATV.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back