Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

12/06/03 coyote (pic)

T Bone

I slipped out this morning for a quick hunt. Weather was blustery and spitting a little bit of rain, not ideal calling weather, but I had to try!

I was on my 1st set, hadn't even called yet and the dogs starting talking. Problem was everything that was howling was on the other side of the valley. I played a hunch and got back to the truck and drove over to the other side. The country is rolling sage studded with cedars. I set up and called. Nothing.....wind is blowing...

I move and set up again, this time really screaming the bunny call. After my 3rd series I pickup a dog charging in! He comes in and never slows down crossing from left to right at 50 yards. The sage is high so I have to kneel tall to get any kind of shot. The trigger breaks, the little 223 wssm goes bang, followed by a splat.

I like this little gun! Big male, I'm guessing between 35 and 40 pounds, fur is in great shape. I don't know how to case them but have a friend that will teach me.

I didn't have a camera with me in the field so this photo taken in the garage will have to do. The wife was too embarrased to take on the front yard as she's afraid of what the neighbors will think of us...
smile.gif

100_0886.sized.jpg

WTG T-Bone!

If you cut from the brown-eye down the rear of the hind legs until you reach the feet, skin the legs, cut the tail bone, then pull and skin down to the neck. Then with a razor blade, start cutting the gums free from the skull and work up until you get to the top bridge of the nose. Finish up from the other side by freeing the ears and cutting around the eyes. The front legs should pull/skin out. You'll have to pull the tail bone out so that the tail skin is turned. You'll also have to go back and turn the lips, ears, nose and eyes. The easiest way to turn the ears is to use a blunt object, like a stick or screwdriver handle and insert it from the outside in, and then work the skin free from the cartlidge.

The only cut you should have is the V incision on the rear, the rest is skinning.

Quite easy really...Jim

T Bone
I wanted to get out yesterday but never made it, and today is too windy. That is a nice looking yote, do you hunt out in the Dog Skins area? I have a couple of nice areas alittle further north that always produce good results. If you ever want to hook up for a hunt let me know.

T Bone, Nice yote. Wish ours down here would fur up that nice. Do yourself a favor and get ahold of that yotehunter guy that posted up above. He's a great guy and loves to hunt. But he's kinda like me, hates to go alone. You wont meet a nicer guy.
smile.gif

Yotehunter,

Heck I could hit your house with a rock standing in my front yard! I'm just over the hill in Golden Valley by NVHS.

I'm hunting close to civilization...I'd even venture to guess a person in Sun Valley could've heard the rifle shot from that dog in the picture....

My go to place was up off of Red Rock but since fur season its been getting lots of pressure. A gov't trapper has been taking a ton of dogs and a few cats up there.

I knew I recognized the area in that picture. I hunt alot out around the moon rock area ( at least I used to ) but now there are alot of hunters out there. I still have a couple of honey holes further north but I havent been out that way in 6 months or so.

Moosie, I live in Las Vegas. Not Reno. I met with Yotehunter in Tonopah to do a little hunting. Been friends ever sence.
TBone, Take yotehunter up on the hunting. you wont regret it. He's a great guy. Here is a pic of Yotehunter with his lil kitty. He's the one sitting down.

fd734d39.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-08-2003 20:20: Message edited by: crapshoot ]</font>

Back