Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

11th edition Hornady manual disappointing

Redmt

I bought the latest and greatest 2021 Hornady manual to get the latest and greatest load data. It's really disappointing that a 50 buck manual doesn't cover their latest CX bullets.

I find the entire concept of reloading manuals to be disappointing at this point. When you consider that a layperson can buy a program like Quick Loads for $150, it seems to me every bullet manufacturer ought to have an interactive program on their website allowing you to explore the possibilities of many, many powders at different OALs and different barrel lengths, not just the 6 or 8 powders they decide to test at one OAL.

Hornady has some CX load data published for free on their website.

Screenshot_20220417-065701_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for that. I needed the data for 6.5 but the bullets are still unobtanium and the .308 which I have the bullets but no data there or in the book. I'll give them a call Monday.

The CX is supposed to be able to be faster. I could start with a basic GMX load and work up if necessary. My complaint is that a $50.00 latest print 2021 edition book should have their products in it.

Didn’t the CX get released this year? If it was printed in ‘21 then that would answer why they are not in that manual
They have been advertising them since last year but unable to find any until a month ago. The .264/6.5 has load data is posted on the web site but the bullets aren't available. The 308 caliber are available but there's minimal data posted with nothing in .308 only a couple of the .300 magnums. It would seem to me if they have developed the bullet then they should have data to go with it.

I talked to Hornady this morning. The 19.99 online data manual, free with hard copy of book, covers the data for the CX in all the calibers I needed.
I also talked to their tech department and they said it loads the same as the GMX. The online data gives load recipes for all bullets in weight class as being the same also.

I bought the latest and greatest 2021 Hornady manual to get the latest and greatest load data. It's really disappointing that a 50 buck manual doesn't cover their latest CX bullets.
What data and cal are you looking for ?

I noticed Hornady data is very conservative due to Hornady brass powder volume being less than most.

I noticed Hornady data is very conservative due to Hornady brass powder volume being less than most.
I would guess that all published data is well below the danger zone for liability reasons. My bitch was the lack of data for current calibers for the CX bullets that Hornady produced well before the manual was printed.

I would guess that all published data is well below the danger zone for liability reasons. My bitch was the lack of data for current calibers for the CX bullets that Hornady produced well before the manual was printed.
Yes they just added CX but just grouped with all their other data. I bought a box 165gr CX but they are longer than most 165gr bullets very similar in length to Barnes TSX 168gr. On the shelf now waiting trying to decide.

I called Hornady and they said to load them to the same specs as the GMX. They also said that the difference is internal to the bullet performance on impact.

308 Win data
Very conservative

Attachments

• 95252D19-80B9-4F5C-97F0-59CB76E1933C.jpeg
    95252D19-80B9-4F5C-97F0-59CB76E1933C.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 3
  • CF626F46-3D60-4F62-8F80-B1BD41ECDD07.jpeg
    CF626F46-3D60-4F62-8F80-B1BD41ECDD07.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 3
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics