Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

1000ft in .7 miles.

jvanhoy

I’m e scouting for a deer tag I just picked up in a unit I’ve drove through but no boots on the ground experience. I’ve found a promising looking spot but I’m expecting it’s going to be a bigger hole then what it looks like on the map. From your experience how bad is a 1000ft drop in elevation over a .7 mile trip down. I measured it on GE with dropping down with the contours as best as I could. Thanks.

I wasn’t really sure what that would look like so I checked out the ridge I plan on going up for elk this fall. It is around 2000’ gain in .7 miles, which I know is very steep. It also includes working around some cliffs. Maybe we should trade spots. 😀
So your basically saying don’t be a wuss and drop down in there. 😆

1000 feet over .7 mile is 1:3.7. A decent hill but not a killer.

1:3 is getting pretty steep but its still just a good hard hike and you don’t need your hands. you are hunting the whole time. I would consider solo packing about a mile uphill at this, very slowly, even if I was up to around 12K.

Slightly more steep than that is really putting it to your ankles and knees with ample slip-sliding potential. Pack out becomes very difficult, I’d want a partner, cool weather, and lots of time to split it into two days.

Steeper than that is getting real steep, its handhold scrambling, for me at least we’d be in hell-hole category and I’d probably scratch it, no way doing it solo.

of course, few mountains are average slope, theres benches (yay) cliffs (boo!) and deadfall (kill me now) to always contend with

Last edited:
The real question is what type of terrain is it over. Trail, deadfall, rock? That can make all the difference.
Looks pretty open on the side I’m dropping down to a creek bottom. Heavy timber going up other side.

I wasn’t really sure what that would look like so I checked out the ridge I plan on going up for elk this fall. It is around 2000’ gain in .7 miles, which I know is very steep. It also includes working around some cliffs. Maybe we should trade spots. 😀

Is it full of alders and ceanothus? If so I know that spot.

There's a drainage that we hunt that the entrance/exit is very similar. It's not a deal killer, but it is a hump and a half getting an elk quarter out of there. If I were hunting that solo I'd find another way to get quarters out. Fortunately for us, you can swing around and come up from the bottom. Adds another 3 miles to the pack out, but it's all downhill or relatively flat.

Something I did not see mentioned. What altitude are you starting from and having to return to? 1000 feet is a lot less O2. and being from a very low state you have to remember your not firing on all 8 cylinders.
I have seen as little as 500 feet can suck the zip right out of you.
Just a thought.

one of my favorite local training hikes/trail runs does 958 feet of vert in the last 0.43 miles.

do i wanna pack an elk up that? no. never.

do i wanna pack an elk up 1000 feet in 0.7 miles? no. but this is the one i would choose.

Something I did not see mentioned. What altitude are you starting from and having to return to? 1000 feet is a lot less O2. and being from a very low state you have to remember your not firing on all 8 cylinders.
I have seen as little as 500 feet can suck the zip right out of you.
Just a thought.
8200 dropping to 7200. I do have a lot of experience with elevation though. Other than the first few years we starting coming out west I adjust pretty well.

There's a drainage that we hunt that the entrance/exit is very similar. It's not a deal killer, but it is a hump and a half getting an elk quarter out of there. If I were hunting that solo I'd find another way to get quarters out. Fortunately for us, you can swing around and come up from the bottom. Adds another 3 miles to the pack out, but it's all downhill or relatively flat.
I’ll be dropping down near a private border so no other option then back up. From what I remember driving by this spot I don’t think I would dive down after a elk but maybe a deer won’t be to bad. Hopefully I’ll find out in about 50 days 🤞🏻

This is what I’m looking at. Hoping to catch a buck slipping up the creek from private. Thanks for all the reply’s.
640517BC-E411-4B6E-9A74-55EFC0D9878B.jpeg0AE7EC0C-C459-4D35-B6CC-1D5FF836B0A5.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back