Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

10+ Years of Use, What Worked

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Marmot Limelight 3—bought in 2008. Spent two months backpacking in Patagonia living out of it when I first bought it, and hundreds of nights since then. Still completely functional.

Filson jacket—I don’t know if hat the name of it is, but it’s insulated and water proof. Killed my first deer in it. I don’t wear it for hunting anymore because it’s bulky and heavy, but still wear it regularly.

Swaro 10x42 slcs -2003
Swaro spotter -2005
Marmot Pinnacle 15 deg bag-2007
Hilly Billy Akto-2009
Go light Shangra La 5-2010
KUIU chugach Rain coat-2012. Does get a bit soggy in a good rain lately

For sure no other clothing or boots that have made that 10 year journey. Im
Just to freaking hardcore

Drag master- this thing drug more deer out whole when I was growing up. I can remember dragging mule deer bucks out through dry rangeland for miles with my dad until all the hair was gone on one side. Still use it when it makes sense but there needs to be snow and down hill or they get quartered.

Leica LRF900 rangefinder
Hoyt alpha max 32
Easton ACC Pro Hunter Arrows
Trophy taker t lock broadheads
Cutco hunting knife
Petzal headlamp
Lowa Baffin leather lined non gore text boots. The vibram is about smooth but they still get worn early season in flat country

Schnees 18” pacs. They’ve been resoled and have new liners

Danner santiam boots- keep them greased and if you only wear them in snow they’ll last a while

My yellow lab- she’s going on ten but still puts the hurt on roosters

There’s a number of items that were upgraded/ changed out not from necessity that would have likely made the 10 year mark. It’s amazing how good the gear has gotten in the past decade. I bet most of the stuff I have today will be my go to ten years down the road.

Very educational list. I wish I had more to contribute but 10 years ago I had just returned from living in Panama for 2.5 years and was broke as hell.

The only things I can think of are an MSR pocket rocket and a 20 year old 20 degree synthetic Mountain Hardware bag that has been my truck bed bag for a long time. Honorable mention goes to a 9 year old REI Quarter Dome. Excellently designed and great value tent that I used to average 30+ nights a year in for a long time and still use probably 3-5 nights per year. I have a bunch of canoeing, kayaking, and rafting gear that's 10+ years old and still fully functional, but that's probably not really relevant.

Hoyt alpha max 32
Easton ACC Pro Hunter Arrows
loved both of these. I really wish I still had my alphamax and wish Easton still made the pro hunters. Used that exact setup for 8-9 years

I have an original leather man in the same leather belt holder. abt 25 years I think.
It has been used alot and served me well.
Nothing else has lasted long enough or else I lost it along the way

Forgot the Whisperlight, mine may not get enough use to qualify for the thread but every couple of years it gets to melt snow on a climbing trip for a couple weeks straight, think I bought it in 1999?
Still use my MSR whisperlite 20-40 days/year, from 2008. Kelty Gunnison 2 tent, also from 2008. Themorest self-inflating pad from 2008, used it 10 days on this last elk hunt, mostly a car camping pad now. Northface hiking pants from 2012, repaired from abuse but not replaced. Camelbak wolf pack, bladders come and go, but the pack remains as my running and snowboarding water carrier, from 2012.

Cabelas Alaska Guide Rectangular Down sleeping bag. Perfect for trailhead or dinghy motel room camping.Ken Jr has it now, still in perfect condition.

Kelty down mummy…light & warm, fairly roomy, good zips, no tears…has also made a few motorcycle trips.

Swaro EL 10x42 HD still perfect now residing w/Jr.

Last edited:
Leica ultravid 10x50
Coleman camp stove, two burner
Hyperlite Mountain Gear UltaMid 2
Whisperlight stoves. Got two
"Bunny Boots" rated something like -60
Bunny boots.jpg

Handed down to the kids,
Bausch & Lomb Discoverer Telescope 15 x 60
Tasco 10 x 50 binos

Got a 80's Susuki quad runner.
2003 Bombardier Traxter
2011 Polaris Sportsman Big Boss 6x6. Third one bought.
Each of these 3 machines, took me to fishing holes, camps, and hauled moose, Bou, and bears home.

Some maintenance required.

Lemme think...
Svea stove I got in 1969. Used it last year to make coffee in a 25 yo Cabellas percolator. Works great still.
The Kelty backpack is as old as the Svea. Used 8 years ago on my last elk solo pack out.
My Coleman is ancient and works. 60 yo?
Whisperlite is my new pack stove...25 yo?
Kelty Gunnison 2 tent is from 2008, same year I got my Kennetrek Grizzly pacs.
Used my old wool sweater my dad gave me 40 years ago this week.
The Cabellas waterfowl shooting gloves were worn this week...30 years.
Gander Mtn waterfowl parka is at the door rack for heavy rain. 1994.
I wore my plaid Stormy with my Woolrich coat a couple times this week. Coat is 50 years old. The cap is new, 25 years.

Kawasaki 220 Bayou, absolutely indestructible...we have tried.
Marmot sleeping bag
Marmot hoodie that has been in constant rotation for around 12 years and still looks essentially new.

Cabelas wooltimate pullover jacket. I know the quality isn't the same now that cabelas is basspro. That is the warmest most comfortable jacket I've ever had. I use it for pretty much everything from November til March from deer hunting to ice fishing. Absolutely love it have had it for probably 13 years.

I have a similar Cabela’s pullover. Bought if for “school activities” when I was at the community college near MN’s BWCA. I think it was their Revolution Fleece line. Similar concept. WARM and that one big pocket upfront is surprisingly useful. Still use it on days when it’s downright cold and I’m not walking far. Wish I would have bought the Wooltimate version though.

At least 15 years ago, my folks bought me a pair of green wool pants from the Bemidji Woolen Mills for Christmas. Stained with the blood of over a decade of cold hunting, I love them dearly. Finally had to patch the crotch last year. I cut wood in them too. They are my cold weather woolies - and stylish.

IMG_5264.jpg

Over 20 years ago, my dad gave me some old NVA woolies. Serving an army that no longer exists for a country that no longer exists, they are lighter and also have their fair share of blood and use. They are my medium weather woolies. Wool's indestructibility, utility, and stylishness, can't be beat in my mind. Just an observation - 75% of hunters in the woods are wearing one of 4 styles of wallet-emptying contemporary mountain pants that bring tears to their eyes when they rip them while trying to cross the fence.

IMG_6625.jpg

Other than that, I really don't have any "gear" older than a decade. The chief reasons being I lose things, I don't buy nice things, I have children, and I hunt/fish so much that nothing lasts.

Lemme think...
Svea stove I got in 1969. Used it last year to make coffee in a 25 yo Cabellas percolator. Works great still.
The Kelty backpack is as old as the Svea. Used 8 years ago on my last elk solo pack out.
My Coleman is ancient and works. 60 yo?
Whisperlite is my new pack stove...25 yo?
Kelty Gunnison 2 tent is from 2008, same year I got my Kennetrek Grizzly pacs.
Used my old wool sweater my dad gave me 40 years ago this week.
The Cabellas waterfowl shooting gloves were worn this week...30 years.
Gander Mtn waterfowl parka is at the door rack for heavy rain. 1994.
I wore my plaid Stormy with my Woolrich coat a couple times this week. Coat is 50 years old. The cap is new, 25 years.
Ha! I had a Svea stove on a job that I did for a couple of seasons. Those things were bomb-proof and a pain in the ass if it was cold out and you were trying to pressurize...

Kelty Gunnison 2 tent is from 2008,

I have one of these from around the same timeframe. I setup camp during archery season one year and noticed one of the plastic panels in the rain fly had come unglued. It was September 1st so I didn't think much of and figured I'd be fine for a couple nights. At 9:15 I start seeing flashes of lightning and in about 5 minutes I'm in the worst downpour/lightning storm I've ever camped in. I was holding up the stuff sack trying to keep the driving rain from totally soaking me and all my stuff. Thankfully I was camped on a little bit of slope and was able to keep my sleeping bag dry but I scooped probably 2 gallons of water out of my tent that night. It was the first time I heard my tent poles buzz and crack from the lightning. Fun time...

1. My What-A-Saw (made before it was bought by Coglans) I have had it since before I could legally drive and only changed the blades out on it.. still going strong as ever. I cant count the number of wood its cut or critters its sawed on. The cool thing about it is you can keep 3 or 4 extra blades inside the handle. Usually a bone saw, and a couple of wood saws.
2. Eureka 2 man tent. Had this tent since acquiring it in 2004 and its been through everything you could imagine. I have spent hundreds of nights in this thing.
3. Cabelas zero degree flannel/canvas bag. Still going strong. Ordered it in 96 or 97. Still just as warm as the day I bought it.
4. Coleman 2 burner stove I was gifted from my dad. I think he bought it in the 80s. Recently bought a propane version and it sucks.. cant adjust the knobs at all to get a low flame to cook on or make coffee. The old one you can get it set so low you can barely see the flame.
5. I have a Cabelas pack which is a fleece/leather mix I use sometimes for day hunts that is well over 20 years old. Its just big enough to carry what you need for a all day hunt and still works just as well as the day it was made.
6. Leatherman (the original) I have worn the blades out on it twice. Still going strong.
7. 6ft Ultra light Ugly stick trout rod with cork handle. This thing has been catching trout and panfish since Clinton and Lewinsky were messing around. From flipping it in streams to trolling spinners and spoons in the lakes it continues to do it all.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back