PEAX Equipment

10 Gauge Goose Gun

BrooksRanger

Happy New Year fellow Hunt Talkers! Hopefully this year won't be a repeat of the last!

I'm interested in adding another gun to the collection, and think a 10 gauge is the next gun to fill the bill. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any Browning Gold 10 Gauges online in stock. Have any of you seen one of these guns in your local stores or know of anywhere I can get my hands on one?

Thank you gents.

Why? I regularly shoot honker triples with a 3" twelve gauge. Often I take a limit of five in as many shots. Very effective. Three inch twelve gauge shells are also a helluva lot cheaper and easier to find than ten gauge.

Why? I regularly shoot triples on honkers with a 3" twelve gauge. The shells are a helluva lot cheaper and easier to find than ten gauge.
Because he wants to. What difference does it make to you if he wants one?

Recently you seem to question most anyone with a desire or interest different than yours. I doubt he is interested in your disagreement of him wanting to add a 10 gauge to his collection.

If you can't add something worthwhile, just move along and keep your negative comments to yourself.

I hope he buys two 10 gauges.

Git 'r dun...
Finding ammo may be the biggest hurdle

Attachments

• goose.gif
    goose.gif
    495.3 KB · Views: 0
Agreed! With the current ammo shortage, I wanted to make sure that I could find ammo before I decided to pull out the credit card for the gun. I live in Southeast, AK so finding a reliable ammo source even in normal times can be difficult. That difficulty is further amplified in our current world, so before finding a local business willing to order shells for me, I even considered flying to the Lower 48 to purchase them to bring back as checked baggage!

They are extremely hard to find all of a sudden the last year or so. Bought mine a couple years ago, I love it. Late season honkers it cant be beat not because I'm shooting further but it just patterns the bigger shot better than you can with a 12 ga. Bore that's a fact. Also works great for coyotes. You wont regret buying one I've got one and I'm looking for another just because. Il keep my eyes open. Used are hard to find, if your looking for new I would make a call to Mack's prairie wings in Stuttgart I'm not positive but pretty sure they carry them regularly. Finding ammo isn't that hard you just have to buy a few extra when you find it. To be honest I cant believe why more guys dont have them. Recoil on the gold 10 is less than my 3" 12 ga auto. This was a hunt earlier today and as a matter of fact they were all shot with 10 gauges.

Attachments

• 20210101_141801.jpg
    20210101_141801.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Why? I regularly shoot honker triples with a 3" twelve gauge. Often I take a limit of five in as many shots. Very effective. Three inch twelve gauge shells are also a helluva lot cheaper and easier to find than ten gauge.
I could argue why use 12 my kids use a 20 with 2 3/4". Also cheaper but that's not the point.

Last edited:
Man wtf you werent kidding I've been looking for used but I tried to find a new one online for you out of stock all over. Maybe contact browning if all else fails.

Last edited:
I owned a Browning pump 10 gauge about 25 yrs ago. That thing would stack up the geese however I reached the point I did not want to pull the trigger, lol. I might still flinch to this day 🤣

Last edited:
Because he wants to. What difference does it make to you if he wants one?

Recently you seem to question most anyone with a desire or interest different than yours. I doubt he is interested in your disagreement of him wanting to add a 10 gauge to his collection.

If you can't add something worthwhile, just move along and keep your negative comments to yourself.

I hope he buys two 10 gauges.
Not being disagreeable or negative. It was an honest question. Perhaps a ten gauge will indeed be more than he bargains for. Does he genuinely have a need for a huge gun with stout recoil that is too heavy to do anything with but sit in a blind and often relatively difficult to find ammo for? I have known more than one person who was sorry he spent the big bucks to make the "step up" to ten gauge. Similarly 3.5" twelve gauge. And yes, I do kill geese just fine with a 3". If this fella doesn't have a lot of experience he might be interested in knowing the drawbacks.

I'm not man enough for a 10ga. But good on ya. Last time I hunted with a guy with a 10 ga. He'd shoot a volley and literally roll over and puke. I thought he was really hung over or something and it was quite comical. He caught a lot of hell that weekend. After that I thought well, I don't need one of those mule kicking sons a bitches.......

Come to find out he actually had some infection in his shoulder from a previous injury and everytime that thing sang so did he. I felt pretty bad for him after I found that out.

That's a man's gun though. I haven't seen ammo for ever either.

Last edited:
Not being disagreeable or negative. It was an honest question. Perhaps a ten gauge will indeed be more than he bargains for. Does he genuinely have a need for a huge gun with stout recoil that is too heavy to do anything with but sit in a blind and often relatively difficult to find ammo for? I have known more than one person who was sorry he spent the big bucks to make the "step up" to ten gauge. Similarly 3.5" twelve gauge. And yes, I do kill geese just fine with a 3". If this fella doesn't have a lot of experience he might be interested in knowing the drawbacks.
This coming from same guy who harassed @SnowyMountaineer for shooting deer with 90 or 95 gr. bullets. Who happens to be one of the most accomplished deer hunters on this forum imo. Surprised with that logic your not goose hunting with an old school punt gun.

I'm not man enough for a 10ga. But good on ya. Last time I hunted with a guy with a 10 ga. He'd shoot a volley and literally roll over and puke. I thought he was really hung over or something and it was quite comical. He caught a lot of hell that weekend. After that I thought well, I don't need one of those mule kicking sons a bitches.......

Come to find out he actually had some infection in his shoulder from a previous injury and everytime that thing sang so did he. I felt pretty bad for him after I found that out.

That's a man's gun though. I haven't seen ammo for ever either.
I’ve shot quite a few with an Ithaca Mag 10, and honestly can’t say it’s any worse than a normal 12 gauge 3” goose load. The gun is heavy and eats a lot of the recoil, more of a “slow push” than anything. Certainly way easier to handle than a turkey load or slug out of a 12.

As for the “why,” I get it- yes you can shoot geese with any shotgun, but a 10 is cool to hunt with.

I have a Rem SP 10 and I don’t find recoil that bad, even with turkey loads. It weighs 11 pounds plus it’s gas operated so it soaks it up, more a big shove than a sharp rap. Rather shoot that than my 7lb Benelli 12 ga with 3 inchers.
Was writing mine when you posted, agreed 100%. And I am no macho man when it comes to handling recoil, I’m only slightly ashamed admit to wearing a boat lifejacket while sighting in my .270...

The OP's question in his post is about finding a 10 Gauge gun. Not about the possible shooting characteristics that may differ between a 10 Gauge and a 3" 12 Gauge.

Good luck finding one. My brother had one when we were in college. I saw him drop some geese from way up there. I didn’t think recoil was bad but it was a pretty heavy gun too. Not sure how much ammo is made for it anymore, but I imagine today’s ammo quality through a 10 gauge would be pretty awesome.

I owned a Browning pump 10 gauge about 25 yrs ago. That thing would stack up the geese however I reached the point I did want to pull the trigger, lol. I might still flinch to this day 🤣

My son bought the same gun with money he earned delivering papers. I witnessed some amazing shots he made with that gun. He too, decided to part with it. He said after a few shots,,he'd have a headache.

But it was amazingly lethal on waterfowl.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back