10/22 or buckmark pistol

Scott85

I’m getting rid on my heritage 22lr/22mag and I want to get another 22 to fill it’s place. I’m not a big shooter or small game hunter and I figure if I can’t hit them with the the buckmark I just need to get closer. So I’m leaning more to the buckmark vs the 10/22 rifle. Is the this right choice? The buckmark I was looking at has a 5” barrel. Or is there another pistol better?

Last edited:
I don’t think you can go wrong with either the Buckmark or a Mark III Target (I have the latter). Just upgrade the front sight. I personally prefer a scoped rifle (10/22 or Model 60) for small game. It’s tough to get a good bead on (or get closer to) a squirrel laid out 60’ up a white oak tree with a pistol.

Buckmark rifle! That being said, I have a Buckmark pistol with a 5.5" TacSol barrel and love it, way more than I ever liked my brother's 10/22.

My opinion Smith and Wesson victory, easy to brake down and put back together. Fun pistol to shoot and accurate

I don’t think there’s a wrong answer, my 10-22 has never given me a single issue. That being said I bought Ruger American 22 lr a couple years ago to more closely simulate my normal hunting rifle. It was accurate and used the same magazine as the 10-22 which I already had several of. Last year I bought a CZ 455 and there is no comparison in the build quality, I’d spend that money again in a heartbeat!

If you do want a cheaper pistol option I picked up one of the Ruger wranglers last year, it’s as accurate as the single sixes I’ve had and half the cost. Available in several cerakote options if you want to pack it along, too

Last edited:
I have one of each (plus a Ruger Mk IV and single six). I've taken much more small game with the 10/22 but that's mostly because I use it to hunt more. All of them are fun to shoot though.

I went with a tikka t1x. Put a leupold freedom rimfire 3-9 on it. I got it to small game hunt but also practice with since most of my other rifles are tikka. Now all the guys at the range have talked me into shooting competitions with it and it has no trouble keeping up with all the custom built guns most of them shoot. I have won my fair share with just that setup.

My dream list has Ruger Single Six convertible and Ruger Mark 1 ahead of either of OP's choices. Handgun competency begins where rifle acumen concludes. Prove me wrong.

+1 for buckmark if its a pistol but if going rifle model 60 is hard to beat

I’m getting rid on my heritage 22lr/22mag and I want to get another 22 to fill it’s place. I’m a big shooter or small game hunter and I figure if I can’t hit them with the the buckmark I just need to get closer. So I’m leaning more to the buckmark vs the 10/22 rifle. Is the this right choice? The buckmark I was looking at has a 5” barrel. Or is there another pistol better?
Is it the right choice? For you or me? Choosing weapons is a personal thing and you should decide that on what you like. If your out deer hunting and not seeing much but run across a rabbit, the 22 handgun goes along a lot easier than a 22 rifle and makes less of a mess of the rabbit than your deer rifle!

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back