1 month and 10 days

tnctcb

until south carolina opening day. who else gets a chance to get a buck in velvet with a gun. this year i want to get one to mount still in velvet.
hump.gif

I could go out as soon as the first or fifteenth of August for deer with a bow, but I don't think they are still hanging onto their velvet that late. I could be wrong, on that one....but think not...
Good luck on yours Tim....

The deer I hunted last year still had great velvet through the first week in Sept (well, the first 6 days anyway). ;)
CharlieTbucks_019.sized.jpg

CharlieTbucks_002.sized.jpg

Year before last 3 of the 4 bucks we took in OCTOBER still had velvet (Casper, WY) I'd NEVER seen them have it that late into the year :confused: Here was Pete's buck
fdb7f31e.jpg

Even my little oops! buck still sported velvet-
fdb7f31f.jpg

i think antler velvet is like the rut and antler growth, they vary with the region. i always see bucks with antlers out west before i see them in the south and i see hard horns out west before the south but i see bucks in north western florida and southern alabama chasing does well into february.most of our deer killed during bow season and south carolinas opening month have at least some haging velvet.

it can be done. i dont know if it takes longer or if special work has to be done though

It seems to me the mulies I hunt were all stripped by the time I could start hunting them on August 31 last year. I'd love to get a big muley in velvet. I can't wait for season to roll around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back