Zinke Proponent of BALANCED, Not Extremist Leadership.

It means the few remaining mills in the area couldn't keep up with the demand. Vaagen ended up delivering some wet p pine studs. They probably don't look too straight right now.

Just trying to add some local and regional flavor to the discussion Tony. Nothing more.

A quick scan of 5 mill's sales lists in MT and N. Idaho May through August show truck loads of 2x6-9' studs in ESLP and DF ready to go. Like I said if a yard ran out someone wasn't doing his job.

JR's point on investing in infrastructure spot on. IMO. The lumber usage there, if it happened could get interesting.

I don't, my question wasn't rhetorical, I was trying to understand what factors could ramp demand for lumber. Wondering what that would look like if republicans and democrats ever got beyond the talking phase of investing in infastructure.

This will ramp up demand for USA lumber. Lumber prices will be going up I predict. Good for the mills, and good for the loggers. Bad for people wanting low cost new housing but lumber costs are only a small part of home costs. Land costs are more of a factor and are going up fast in areas that are desirable places to live.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42272254

A quick scan of 5 mill's sales lists in MT and N. Idaho May through August show truck loads of 2x6-9' studs in ESLP and DF ready to go. Like I said if a yard ran out someone wasn't doing his job.

JR's point on investing in infrastructure spot on. IMO. The lumber suave there, if it happened could get interesting.

Check September sales list. That's when the shortage occurred. At any rate it was a busy season, and I will predict next year will be busier.

Don't see a lot of promise on an infrastructure bill getting passed next year, but you never know with those guys in DC.

Check September sales list. That's when the shortage occurred. At any rate it was a busy season, and I will predict next year will be busier.

Don't see a lot of promise on an infrastructure bill getting passed next year, but you never know with those guys in DC.

Plenty available then also. Wide 2&btr DF got real tight then. But it didn't last long.

You are missing the whole point. Buying homes you can't afford in order to get a nice fat tax break leads to housing bubbles, which did not help the demand for lumber in the last one. I don't know about Idaho, but right now in Western Montana, Calfornia refugees are arriving here by the Megaload. Local building supply ran out of 9' 2 x 6 studs for several weeks this summer. Time to sell my home.

You’re talking about your little piece of the Montana instead of the whole real market. Tax deductions go down, RE values go down. Interest rates go up, values go down and vice versa. This has nothing to do with buying RE for a tax deduction.

You’re talking about your little piece of the Montana instead of the whole real market. Tax deductions go down, RE values go down. Interest rates go up, values go down and vice versa. This has nothing to do with buying RE for a tax deduction.

The interest and property tax deduction is subsidy that encourages people to buy houses they can't afford. The real estate broker lobby was opposed to doing away with this deduction for obvious reasons. I'm glad its gone!

You Wyoming folks are way behind the times. They are actually 104 5/8" to be precise. California refugees like 9 foot ceilings!

Ha, BHR, thank you! When I was running job sites I can't tell you how many times I sent guys to buy a load of studs and they'd come back with either 8' lumber instead of 92 5/8" or 10' lumber instead of 104 5/8", drove me nuts...

FWIW mills make 8’ studs in lots of different trims 92 5/8” being the most common. 88” 92 1/4” 96” and a whole slug of other possibilities. 9’ are generally 104 5/8 or full 108. 10’ are generally 116 5/8” or 120”.

Some guys can’t figure out why they buy 92 5/8” but the board footage is figured on a 96” count.

We will same the short stud convo for another day. 4’ 5’ 6’ and 7’

FWIW mills make 8’ studs in lots of different trims 92 5/8” being the most common. 88” 92 1/4” 96” and a whole slug of other possibilities. 9’ are generally 104 5/8 or full 108. 10’ are generally 116 5/8” or 120”.

Some guys can’t figure out why they buy 92 5/8” but the board footage is figured on a 96” count.

Stop. You're making my head hurt.
I'm just thankful the wood products industry didn't go metric!

Ha, BHR, thank you! When I was running job sites I can't tell you how many times I sent guys to buy a load of studs and they'd come back with either 8' lumber instead of 92 5/8" or 10' lumber instead of 104 5/8", drove me nuts...

I'm that guy... always cutting 'em down or building shit taller then getting hosed during sheathing. It's not my day job so it doesn't bug me too much though

Another FWIW

Vancouver, BC-based Forest Economic Advisors latest report points to record lumber prices next year and beyond. The five year forecast predicts positive price support due to the growing US housing market, while noting probable volatility caused by US duties.

I'm that guy... always cutting 'em down or building shit taller then getting hosed during sheathing. It's not my day job so it doesn't bug me too much though

Ha, yeah, when it is your day job though you'd be surprised how much time is saved when you can just line them up and nail them in instead of going back and forth to the saw. Building inspectors and clients like to see stuff built per plan as well...

I wanted to join the class action lawsuit against big home improvement stores selling 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" dimensional lumber as 2 x 4 s. I wonder how that turned out. :)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back