Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Zerod

sep0667

What yardage do most of you zero your scopes at?

Thanks for the tips on rifle/scope recommendations that I posted earlier this summer. I went with the Tikka TX3 Lite .270 topped with a Luepold VXI 3-10x40 and I have Caldwell bipods mounted on it. I took it out this week and did some shooting, it was a lot of fun. I was shoot 130 grain bullets.

First I zeroed it in for 100 yards, but felt that at 200 yards there was to much drop. So I rezeored the scope in at 150 yards. By that point I had shot about 25 rounds or so and decided to hold off as my shoulder was feeling it a bit and I want to start fresh again the next session. I feel really good at 150. I was shooting really good groups from the start just with having it bore sighted, I just needed to mainly adjust left and right mostly.

I'm thinking maybe I need to zero it in at like 175 or 200 as most shoots from what I hear are around 200 yards. I do wish I could zoom in the magnification a little more.

I have always adjusted the scope on my rifle so that a bullet hits 3 inches high at one hundred yards. The maximum rise is about 3.5 inches somewhere around 150 yards or so. It will be dead on at something around 275-300 yards depending on the muzzle velocity and the bc of the bullet. That lets me to hold somewhere on the body, from point blank to 400ish yards.

100 yards. I shoot a flat enough gun that I dont have to worry about holdover out to 300 yards. I rarely shoot past 200 yards anyhow.

I typically zero at 200y. But when a 100y range is all you have you can just use jbmballistics and "zero" at the indicated inches above true zero at 100y. For example with the rifle I am taking pronghorn hunting in a few weeks I have it "zeroed" at 1.5" high at 100y - which is just a tiny bit high at 200y and flat enough to take an animal out to 285y without further adjustment of turret or hold over. Using a chrono to verify velocity and then looking for a few minutes at the jbmballistics output gives one a good sense of the tool they are about to hunt with.

Ever hear of "Point blank" for any given caliber, speed, and weight bullet.
It is the point your bullet will hit in a 6" kill zone "From - to".
My 8mm rem mag with a 200 gr Barnes at 3200 fps is at like 233 yards zero,
good from 100 to 300 without any adjustment.

calculator

Try it and see. I use it for each gun I shoot, they're all a little different.

Ever hear of "Point blank" for any given caliber, speed, and weight bullet.
It is the point your bullet will hit in a 6" kill zone "From - to".
My 8mm rem mag with a 200 gr Barnes at 3200 fps is at like 233 yards zero,
good from 100 to 300 without any adjustment.

calculator

Try it and see. I use it for each gun I shoot, they're all a little different.

And you can do the “zeroing” at a 100y if that is easier, you just vary your “inches high at 100”.

The 7mm and .243 my Dad and I will be taking for antelope this fall are both zeroed at 225. I’d be looking to zero around 200 with a .270 depending on the make up of the round you’re using - YMMV. Good luck.

I have always adjusted the scope on my rifle so that a bullet hits 3 inches high at one hundred yards. The maximum rise is about 3.5 inches somewhere around 150 yards or so. It will be dead on at something around 275-300 yards depending on the muzzle velocity and the bc of the bullet. That lets me to hold somewhere on the body, from point blank to 400ish yards.
I do exactly what @406dn said above. For everything out to 325 or so, you can just hold behind the shoulder and give it a slow squeeze. Even at 400, you’re still only holding at the top of the shoulder if using a high ballistic coefficient bullet. It makes things quick and easy.

I zero my .270 at about 250 yards. At 150 yards its maybe 3" high and at 300 yards its about 3" low.

Reactions: LCH
I say it depends on what's the max distance you are willing to shoot at an animal with high degree of confidence. You could zero at 100 and use a dope card or a CDS system for longer shots. Or you could zero using the previously mentioned Max Point Blank Range https://www.chuckhawks.com/sight_rifle_mpbr.html if that covers your range based upon the max distance you are willing to shoot, the particular gun/ammo. It really depends upon your preference and answering the question in the first sentence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back