Zero'd In Remington Model 700 30-06

WyoDoug

This is 50 yards. I had it bore scoped at Sportsman Warehouse and the got it fairly close.

Below is 100 yards. I had to compensate for a bit of wind that picked up which I estimated to be maybe 20 mph. Top group is from the bench which is about how I shoot from the prone. I also have cataracts that will eventually need surgery so could not focus the biopter lens very sharp. Still did OK. Bottom 3 shots are what I did freehand.

They should tighten up with more rounds. I would zero @ 200. Which is usually 1 1/2-2" high@ 100 in most 30-06 I have seen.

I got them tight enough for hunting this year though. I got cataracts that are going to be removed this coming winter and once that is over and hopefully I no longer need glasses, I plan on doing a ton of shooting. That should tighten the groups up to 1 inch or so after putting a bunch of rounds through the chamber. I can get the binos clear though so I am going to be doing some closer checks and inspection on the scope tonight and see why the fuzzy image no matter which direction the diopter lens goes.

Most of what I am shooting will be less than 100 yards. I have managed to get that close unless other hunters were out there spoiling my setups.

Wyo, I just had a right eye cataract procedure and toric lens implant to correct astigmatism. I was seeing sort of a dirty window double reticle before.

Hey WyoDoug, I'd like to offer a few thoughts. I know I don't have a good understanding of the problems you are having with your eyes, so I'm not 100% it will be of use to you, but I hope it is.

First I'm wondering if you are able to get everything adjusted well enough for the reticle to be clear? If you are able to get the reticle nice and clear, I would suggest getting the diopter adjustment just "good enough", and let the target beyond be a little fuzzy while you focus on the reticle. Just like when you shoot iron sights, focussing on the front sight, and letting the target be a little fuzzy.

I would then suggest that you turn your target over and shoot at the center of the blank back side. This should help you bring your focus to the reticle, and make it harder for that black reticle to get lost in that black blob the target can become. I use this a lot, and have had it help some hunters that I've guided. I hope it might help you.

@RockinU: I am retired military so that is how I was taught to get proper sight picture. The surgery nowadays returns a person’s eyesight to 20/20 or close to it. I just don’t know why they put it off so long once you are diagnosed with cataracts.

I can imagine how frustrating that must be. Like a lot of shooters my age who grew up thinking hearing pro was for sissies, I have significantly diminished hearing. Although there are some hidden benefits to not being able to always hear my wife, it is also very frustrating in social settings as I can't understand conversation when there is background noise. This getting older stuff is for the birds.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back