Yeti GOBOX Collection

Youth hunting frustrations

The main thing they’ll remember is spending time together. Small efforts now will have big payoffs with your future relationships, and how they view the outdoors. Bring a BB gun and let them have some fun with it.
Afternoon hunts for grouse are perfect for kids this age, as the season is long and the chance for “success” is fairly good.
Don’t overlook the fall turkey hunts that UT offers in some areas. I believe they even allow hunting with a rimfire rifle for turkeys during the FALL ONLY hunts, which can help increase the chances of filling a tag. Many landowners may welcome some kids to help thin the turkeys.

Small game hunting would be a great option for kids those ages. Take plenty of treats as I have extended many hunts by bribing my kids with candy. Finally anytime I take my kids out the trip is about them. If they want to stop hunting stop hurting. I have left a deer stand on more than occasion 10 to 15 minutes before shooting ended because they wanted to leave and my candy bribes wouldn't work.

Honestly, you need to get them into bowfishing. That’s what kids really live.

Take them antelope hunting. Lots of action, high chance of success, manageable terrain, and (usually) good weather.
Agreed. I’m just frustrated that as an Utah resident youth, buying an OTC big game cow, doe, etc tag is basically non-existent.

Also the fact that nearly half the states elk and deer herd was wiped out last winter played a huge part in this. I don't see any cow or antlerless tags for anyone in the future.

Also the fact that nearly half the states elk and deer herd was wiped out last winter played a huge part in this. I don't see any cow or antlerless tags for anyone in the future.
I hear ya. But in good years, Utah didn’t offer OTC cow or doe tags to youth.

Utah might not offer OTC cow and doe tags to youth, but they offer unlimited bull elk tags and some of the youth buck deer draws are 100% success - with leftover tags (youth can also hunt during all of the season, with the appropriate weapon).

A portion of each draw quota is reserved for youth. Look at the draw odds and you’ll see there are plenty of opportunities for youth with a little planning - between birds and big game.

Comparing Canada’s hunting to Utah’s hunting is like comparing Tom Brady to Kirk Cousins.

Utah might not offer OTC cow and doe tags to youth, but they offer unlimited bull elk tags and some of the youth buck deer draws are 100% success - with leftover tags (youth can also hunt during all of the season, with the appropriate weapon).

A portion of each draw quota is reserved for youth. Look at the draw odds and you’ll see there are plenty of opportunities for youth with a little planning - between birds and big game.

Comparing Canada’s hunting to Utah’s hunting is like comparing Tom Brady to Kirk Cousins.
I know. I came from Canada, and that is my frustration. 🤣 Also, a lot of other states don’t have age restrictions on tags like Utah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back