Youth Compound Bow Options

slatebuilder

Our son is becoming interested in bow hunting. We are looking for a compound bow to get him started with. He is 10, roughly 60” tall and 100 pounds. Something highly adjustable that can grow with him is preferred. Something that he can target shoot and practice with in the yard for awhile until he is proficient and then use for hunting would be optimal.

Any suggestions or experience with youth bows? Recommendations from those with experience would be welcome. Thanks.

My son got a Mission Craze when he was 10, he is 12 now and hunts with it. Very easy to adjust draw length from 19-30" and poundage from about 20-70. It had worked out well for him.

I know that PSE has a bunch of good options as well as Bear. If I were you I'd find the smallest archery shop in your area and go there to have him set up. You'll probably spend a bit more but you'll know you got something that fits him.

My son is 8 and roughly 60 pounds. He has a Diamond/Bowtech Prism. Highly adjustable draw length and pull weight. I think most of these type bows have super long limb bolts to achieve the wide range of draw weight. His was around the $300 mark if I remember correctly.

My daughter bought a Diamond Infinite Edge and loves it.
Both draw weight & draw length have a wide range of adjustment.
30" draw length with 35lb draw weight is netting her 215 fps.

Martin Bengal Pro

If you can find one of these my son has been shooting his since he was 13, now 19. started out at 43lbs and currently shooting 60lb. Extremely adjustable and a very good shooter. For a single cam bow it is one of the nicest out there. Unfortunately I don't think Martin sells the Bengal anymore? I have even set this bow up for a friend. Super easy to adjust and set up for a multitude of draw lengths and poundage. A Fantastic backup bow when it no longer suits the kid. It can be tuff to pull the trigger on a new bow so maybe something used like this would be a great deal. You wouldn't have to spend an arm and a leg to get involved.

I bought both of my daughters Diamond Prisims. Got them when they were about your sons size and the biggest issue I felt like for them was to be able to hold the bow - so it’s not too big or heavy... Edge Pro and the missions would be good bows too...

Actually my daughter got a chance to shoot a new APA Viper at the Harrisburg Outdoors Show, and really liked it.
My Viper is a year old, so of course they've come out with new models & improvements since i got mine...

Back