Yellowstone Bison

Stone_Ice_1

I don't know all the specifics on all the tribal tags and other things they hand out for these, I know there are quite a few. However Montana has 2 districts where they have Bison hunts for when the Bison come out of the park. The last few years there has been very few tags filled as the Bison weren't pushed out of the park in time due to the lack of snow. I guess I just don't understand why they can't extend the season and issue more tags to very willing hunters instead of this...

I don't know all the specifics on all the tribal tags and other things they hand out for these, I know there are quite a few. However Montana has 2 districts where they have Bison hunts for when the Bison come out of the park. The last few years there has been very few tags filled as the Bison weren't pushed out of the park in time due to the lack of snow. I guess I just don't understand why they can't extend the season and issue more tags to very willing hunters instead of this...

There is a current plan being discussed to increase hunting of these bison. As far as extending the season, unless the snow and other conditions push the bison out of YNP then bison may not migrate out at all.

After February, the bison cows are getting pretty heavy with calves, so who wants to deal with that. It's bad enough to consider killing cow elk Feb 15th, let alone having to kill a bison fetus.

But it's not that simple, as there are the tribal factors you mention, as well as other considerations. Since you acknowledge not knowing specifics, I encourage you to watch for the articles and information concerning the potential new plans.

I stand with Buffalo and BFC on this issue. If you want more buffalo hunting opportunities you have until February 28th to submit a comment to the NPS telling them we want these wild animals treated and managed as such.

I stand with Buffalo and BFC on this issue. If you want more buffalo hunting opportunities you have until February 28th to submit a comment to the NPS telling them we want these wild animals treated and managed as such.

Only problem is most of the alternative they suggest is not within the scope of the purpose and need YNP will be analyzing against since their jurisdiction is limited beyond the boundaries of the park. If you want your comments to be effective, focus them on the decision space for this action or your comments will be discounted as non-substantive.

It isn't all politics. Anytime a National Park is involved, that is a factor, but they could make bison tags OTC for $5 and sell 15,000 of them, but if the snow doesn't push the bison out of the park, zero will get killed.

I live in Pa near Gettysburg Nat park and it gets so full of deer they pay sharp shooters every few yrs to go in and take 1000 to 2000 deer if I remember the # right. Ive alway thought instead of paying they could have draw tags for archery if guns are an issue close an area for x number of days kinda rotate around the park and make money instead of spending
But being Nat park it aint gona happen

Slaughtering buffalo in Yellowstone is not new. They were doing that at the Lamar Buffalo Station as a management tool when they were still operating the buffalo ranch as a restoration project in Yellowstone in the early 1900’s.

Slaughtering buffalo in Yellowstone is not new. They were doing that at the Lamar Buffalo Station as a management tool when they were still operating the buffalo ranch as a restoration project in Yellowstone in the early 1900’s.
Yeah I'm aware its nothing new, it just seems there is a better way to go about it.

I have spent some time at the Lamar Buffalo Station, cool place. Took one of my classes there for a few days back when I was teaching many years ago.

Yeah I'm aware its nothing new, it just seems there is a better way to go about it.
That statement is the basis for considering the new management plan. It seems that "slaughter" is almost as contentious as "brucellosis" as a term and bison concern.
Today is last day for public comments, so let them know of your opinion about one of the "better ways", particularly if you advocate for increased hunting opportunity.
I'm sure that the quarantine, translocation to tribes and others, as well as hunting will remain components of the management plan.

Historically, Wyoming has extended the season several times when the desired quantity isn't reached.

Back