Caribou Gear

Wyoming- Whats the difference in definition between antlerless elk and cow or calf?

Goatshoes

Wyoming

Antlerless elk hunts burn points and cost the same as an any elk tag.

Cow calf elk tags cost less and don't burn points.

Whats the difference between the two?

The difference between the 2 is like you stated. The animals you can take are the same. Different season dates sometimes also.

Then to confirm its the same animal identification but different hunt do to dates or other restrictions.

Thanks.

Yep, a cow elk on a type 6 is the same animal as a cow elk on a type 4. Sometimes the season dates and restrictions vary between them in the regs. Drawing odds often differ substantially

Same animal. Like madtom said, drawing odds is where it comes into play. Take a look at area 16 from last year. A non-resident would have a guaranteed draw with a type 4 tag even as a second choice (and you would not burn any points due to being 2nd choice) whereas draw success odds for a type 6 tag for non resident was just over 50%. There is $400 cost difference between the two tags though.

The type 6 and 7 tags seem to be the ones that the WGFD hope to entice people to buy and to harvest antlerless elk due to the population being higher than desired. But not many non residents want to spend $700 for a cow elk license.

I’m investigating type 6 hunt also. Not sure if you can use as second choice if you’re applying for a full price tag first choice. I think it’s a separate draw.

Type 6 & 7 are additional reduced price cow/calf tags. There is a separate application for them and they cannot be put down as a choice on a full price application. They were originally started as a tool to help manage over objective elk herds and they have become very popular. So popular, that I'm not sure why they are sold as reduced price tags anymore.

Type 4 & 5 antlerless tags are full price elk licenses.

They're popular because they're $300 instead of $700.

I think your spot on. Some of the tags I'v looked at are very much management tags designed to keep elk out of agricultural fields or a ranchers grazing allotment. Good deal I suppose if you want meat for the freezer, but if your looking for the experience of hunting inside the national forest or wilderness area, forget it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back