MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Veteran HT Elk camp 2020

Addicting

Over the past few months a few of you on here have talked to me about Hunt with Heros and the processes WY has in place.

I am looking to see if there is any interest in setting up a HT disabled Veteran’s hunt camp. (VA disabled at 50% or more) Or if there is any WY residents who would be willing to work with us and Hunt With Hero to try and establish it thru donated tags and or time.

Feel free to reach out to me Via PM if your interested in either participating, helping, or donating.

Thanks

Last edited:
I just mentioned your post to my wife. We are interested.....possibly with time and certainly a cow elk tag if Wyoming G&F will approve it! memtb

I have spoken with HwH pretty extensively. Any resident or NR who can legally buy a hunting license can donate it. Wyoming residents who don’t hunt but can apply are the target donors for tags, that way it doesn’t interfere with anyone else’s season. They can specify what group they want it to go to. That group has 15 days to assign it to a sponsored Veteran. When we sign up, the sponsorship org makes coordinations between the donation and a veteran. If they know you specifically want it ear marked for a Veterans, they can do that. Once that is all set and done it takes a few weeks for the state to process the application and for H4H to get a tax credit slip out to you.

If we held a camp in a general unit, it opens the door to making this possible. I know of 6 on here that are NR that would be interested in participating. Some with mobility issues that can use help getting from a to b or with scouting. There is also the possibility of starting 5 days ahead of the regular season so it would not interfere with a HT’s time for their personal hunt.

Last edited:
I also have some questions on Unit 98 as a place to hold this. Excluding the wilderness is there enough area for mobility impaired to have a reasonable expectation at a elk encounter.

For the purposes of this thread mobility impaired is walking in 3/4 mile of a ATV trail on gradual grades.

I also have some questions on Unit 98 as a place to hold this. Excluding the wilderness is there enough area for mobility impaired to have a reasonable expectation at a elk encounter.

For the purposes of this thread mobility impaired is walking in 3/4 mile of a ATV trail on gradual grades.
98 would not be my choice. 102 and 104 would be much better. IMO

I agree with mulecreek as to 102 and 104! memtb

I spent some time this weekend looking those units over and agree. If we can make the general tag work this is shaping up to be a positive event.

Also I should clarify, All Vets are welcome to participate. 50% with the VA is just for those I am trying to coordinate donated tags for.

Last edited:
Also, I want to clarify. I do not work for Hunting with Heros nor do I have any ties to them. It is just the Non Profit we used the last time I went with Cushman and it was a seamless process. So much so that we registered with them again as the required Sponsor.

Last edited:
I had a error in this thread with the Organization name. I apparently saved it my phone wrong. Also I updated the VA percentage. For some reason I had it in my head that it was higher. Correction made thanks for pointing it out @SFC B

Are you looking strictly at an elk hunt, or is antelope on the table? Antelope would be easier for all involved. I would definitely donate a doe antelope permit, or two.

Are you looking strictly at an elk hunt, or is antelope on the table? Antelope would be easier for all involved. I would definitely donate a doe antelope permit, or two.

I appreciate the offer but would like to keep it to Elk for this year for this camp to keep it simple. I think I am the only one out of the group that has killed a bull and would love to see their reaction if we can make it happen for them.

However, I know @Boomerusaf was looking for a antelope tag. You would have to reach out to him to see if he still is looking.

Ok, this idea is quickly turning into a plan. We have 5 Vets Confirmed with a 6th that is a strong maybe. I would like to limit this first camp at that number to keep it simpler.

Today the local Game Warden invited us into a ever evolving conversation with a local group looking for some Vets. Currently we are trying to work out details, but this opportunity looks promising and covers the Mobility impaired issues with the availability of Horses.

There have been some very gracious offers of help from the HT Crowd, more than I could of ever expected. We currently have 2 of the 4 tags requested donated. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will try and make updates to this as this venture plays out.

What other help do you need at this point other than tag donations?

As of now, that is really it. I need to talk more with the group and start seeing what the Logistics look like. For the most part we should be self sufficient in gear. The availability of horses and their local knowledge makes a big difference in how this is going to be approached.

Don't worry, if I see a nice animal I will follow my branch's saying and "Aim High"!🤣🤣🇺🇸🇺🇸

Back