Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming unit 12 cow elk.

Antler Dad

I know most of the experienced elk hunters on here would most likely suggest hunting cows until later in the season. My dilemma is my schedule won’t permit that unfortunately. My son and I drew non res. cow elk tags for unit 12. We are planning on hunting the last 4 days of September with bows and have the rifles for the first week of rifle season.
My assumption after reading what is out there on elk locations early would be look high for them. I’ve hunted Colorado years ago and that was the case when I hunted 1st season out there. The Snowy range seems to be the high point in unit 12. I have OnX, google earth, all the tools to get started. I can’t imagine all of the elk in unit 12 are in the snowy range that time of year, but I could wrong about that. At the end of the day I’m looking for an opportunity for my son. Does anyone have experience they would be willing to share for a couple of flatlander Iowans to find a couple of cows?

Hunting cows in the rut is a blast, especially with a rifle. Randy and Corey just did a podcast on it that’s worth listening to.

Thank you for the replies. Bugling definitely makes sense as the bulls will be with the cows. A follow up question to the masses about where to camp. I’m planning on a base camp, (tent), figured we find a good spot along one of the forest service roads, but want to avoid camping to close to where the elk might be. Do most people camp high for quicker access to glassing points or camp low and walk or drive to top eacb day?

I wouldn't worry about camping to close to where the elk are if you are camping near the road. I hunt in that area and just try to camp close as I can along roads to where I will be hunting. Last year we shot two cows within a mile of where we camped on the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back