Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming Regulation Changes area 41 & 45

Hobbs

I recently found out that the area that I have been hunting for years for elk recently changed the reqs regarding archery hunting. For as long as I can remember there has been an "Archer Only" tag, but you could hunt archery on a type 1 tag as long as you bought the special archery permit, but you only had 15 days to hunt. Whereas the Archery Only had the full month of September. The new reqs propose that in two areas (out of the whole state) you will no longer be able to hunt archery on your rifle tag, the only archery hunting in those areas will be if you draw the Archery Only tag. I don't know the unit # for non-residents but the resident unit numbers are 41&45. Don't know if anyone on here has put in for these areas with the thought of hunting both archery and rifle on the single tag, but just a heads up if you did. Have a great week folks.

Good news Hobbs! I just found out earlier today that after a number of comments to the G&F by NR and residents when unit 41 and 45 were changed on 1/22/18 just a week before the end of the NR application period to disallow Type 1 tag holders from hunting the last two weeks with archery equipment that the G&F has changed their minds and this season will stay the same as in previous seasons. They will take it up well before the 2019 season and at this time it's not known if they will try to change it for 2019, but as of right now they plan to take the strikeout of 41 and 45 in the special archery season off the Tentative Regulation before the Commission votes on it the last week of this month. That news just came from the Wildlife Management Coordinator for the Cody Region this morning. FYI there are several other units in the Big Horns that don't allow the Type 1 tags to hunt in September.

Last edited:
I talked in person with one of the GF commissioners a couple weeks ago and the impression I got was that the 41 and 45 tag would be good for archery same as its been.

I also believe the commission will be addressing these season change recommendations happening before the commission approves them to avoid this problem in the future. There's a right time to make changes...what happened this year is NOT the right way.

The commission could move the nr draw and all those problems go away instantly.

Last edited:
Thanks for info Topgun! Have been hoping for that good news. Last time I talked to the game commission it sounded bleak.

Thanks for the info guys. I am still waiting on the G&F to get back to me, so I didn't have all the information. Only had what they listed on the website under regulation changes. Thanks again for helping to clear this up for me.

I am happy to hear that the proposed change appears to be dead - at least for now. I look forward to chasing rutting Wyoming bulls with bow in September and then returning with my rifle, if necessary. By the way, the Wyoming F&G reps that I spoke with regarding this issue were professional, helpful and courteous. I was very impressed in my interactions with them.

Hawkeye44

The Bighorns are one of the areas of the State that unfortunately get slammed with hunters, especially deer, I'm sure this is the Game and Fish's response to try and keep the herds healthy. I would love to hunt over there but try to avoid the crowds as much as I can. Good luck if you pull your Type 1 this year!

All I can say is that I am glad they held off a year on this. Yes i am biased as a 41 type 1 tag holder. But honestly I think it may have had repercussions that I hadn't thought of at first if the archery was closed off to type 1's. I have been in contact with many non-resident tag holders from prior years and all but one took advantage of the archery season and many of those either harvested or didn't return for rifle. To take all those tag holders and focus them into the rifle season may have made for a not so fun hunt. If they are serious on splitting they probably better look at distributing those tags between the rifle and archery season and not just looking at the traditional number of Type 1 tags held. Maybe they did think of that but it could be a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back