Wyoming Region D

50bowhunter

Does anyone have any information on Region D in Wyoming, specifically units 75 & 76? Mainly just wondering about the deer numbers, and the odds of being able to fill 3 tags in a week. Thank you in advance.

Does anyone have any information on Region D in Wyoming, specifically units 75 & 76? Mainly just wondering about the deer numbers, and the odds of being able to fill 3 tags in a week. Thank you in advance.
I don’t know the unit, but it can be a challenge to fill three tags in a week anywhere, as I’m sure you probably know. Depending on how picky you all want to be of course.

Last edited:
Just go to Montana, knock down 3 160" bucks first day then kill bunch of does...lol. Can't help on 75/76, sorry.

Montana it

Sorry, if its not 190" bucks its not worth my time.
Now that some seriously high standards. Impressive!
I hope you are planning to go with a big time outfitter and hunt for about a month straight to accomplish that goal. Good luck though and please keep us posted on how it goes.

I hope you are planning to go with a big time outfitter and hunt for about a month straight to accomplish that goal. Good luck though and please keep us posted on how it goes.
That was a joke, I’d be happy with 3 bucks that scored a total of 190” all together

I hunted region D a few years ago and the two of us were able to fill our tags while also passing up a few bucks. What ended up working for us was still hunting ditches that nobody else wanted to go into. The bucks held tight in them and really needed to almost be stepped on to move.

Hope you weren’t planning on those late hunts in November? They’ve been stopped for at least this year !! Yessssss

Yes, I hunted unit 76 last year, and plan to drop by again this this year (if I don't fill my tag in another unit first). I saw good numbers of does, but not much by way of bucks. I know one guy out of a group that got a 3.5 year old 4x4 + brow tines in 76 last year, but he was the only one in his group to shoot anything that I saw. There will be other good bucks in there somewhere, but just like any unit you might have to really hunt hard to find them.

Howdy! I'll be hunting in that area this fall for the first time. See you are from Virginia, what part? I grew up in western Virginia, Shenandoah Valley.

Howdy! I'll be hunting in that area this fall for the first time. See you are from Virginia, what part? I grew up in western Virginia, Shenandoah Valley.
That's where I live, just outside of Harrisonburg. We ended up applying for region W, just on the other side of the mountain from D.

Here's my rough report from this year:

I hunted pretty hard for 5 days, didn't have more time than that to hunt this year. I spent time hitting different spots each day. I would hike in and get to a glassing spot in the morning, and try to glass up bucks. If I saw nothing, I would still-hunt through the trees mid-day picking up tracks and looking for sign and glassing as I went, and then try to get back to a glassing spot in the evening. This plan worked great for spotting moose and a few does, but not for bucks. My biggest takeaway in this area was that the bucks were holding tight in cover and were not showing themselves during the day. I saw one buck on the last day of my hunt, in the morning, when I still hunted through a very very dense section of brush and blowdowns. I saw zero bucks when glassing from high points early in the day. They just were not moving around, or else I just was not in the right spots. I will say, I did not hike in further than a mile because there were good looking glassing spots close enough that I didn't have to go too far to see a lot of country. At least the places that I went to. I met up with a few guys here and there and one group of hunters I met saw two bucks in two different spots: one buck early in the morning in dense brush near a burn, and the other buck right at dark in an opening way up in the national forest.
Hunting edge habitat in thick country was a tactic I tried but just didn't see any bucks when I was doing that.
That buck I jumped on the last day was a mid-week buck- I will say that I would not hunt opening day again....too much truck/atv/ and hunter movement. And unlike elk hunting where I feel that a lot of hunters can move the elk around, this was the opposite, where all the bucks went deeper into cover, so I started seeing more animals mid-week..just no bucks.
It's a challenging hunt if you don't have a lot of time to get in a little deeper or into the rougher stuff. In retrospect, I probably should have just picked a bucky area and hit it day after day until a buck popped out, instead of moving to a different spot each day.
I did visit the area one time before the hunt for two days, and drove through a bit of the unit, and this intel is what I used to plan my glassing spots; that and OnX.
Hopefully this is helpful to those who explore this unit. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like.

Sagebrush77 thanks for the report doing some research on region D for a possible 2023 hunt. I put in for a cow tag in this area and if I draw I plan to apply for the deer tag as well. Sometimes it's hard to find good reports on an area you have never been to. How did you feel about pressure in the area? Or was most the people you seen just road hunting?

I hunted Region D (Deer Units 76 and 77) last year, so I can answer that question, cshlimn. The pressure was pretty heavy, even for the entire 2nd week of the season. Deer hunters were common up to a mile from the roads, and I didn't find many places where I could even attempt to get further away than that. Elk hunters were mixed in with the deer hunters on the East side of Highway 230, where Elk season (Elk Unit 8) was open, so there seemed to be even more pressure over there. Overall, my group saw less people as they got further from the roads, but I'm afraid that we never really got away from the hunting pressure, in spite of our efforts. The only 2 bucks (aside from younglings) we saw over an 8 day hunt were both moving out in front of other hunters, and incidentally, were not far from a road in either situation. We spent most of our time hiking during darkness and getting as far away from roads as possible to glass, but that strategy didn't work for us.

I hunted Region D (Deer Units 76 and 77) last year, so I can answer that question, cshlimn. The pressure was pretty heavy, even for the entire 2nd week of the season. Deer hunters were common up to a mile from the roads, and I didn't find many places where I could even attempt to get further away than that. Elk hunters were mixed in with the deer hunters on the East side of Highway 230, where Elk season (Elk Unit 8) was open, so there seemed to be even more pressure over there. Overall, my group saw less people as they got further from the roads, but I'm afraid that we never really got away from the hunting pressure, in spite of our efforts. The only 2 bucks (aside from younglings) we saw over an 8 day hunt were both moving out in front of other hunters, and incidentally, were not far from a road in either situation. We spent most of our time hiking during darkness and getting as far away from roads as possible to glass, but that strategy didn't work for us.
I hunted it seen more moose then deer eastman's said it was good ????? selling the mag/taghub ?????

Ha! As a resident I hunt for a month straight (public) and a 170" is a tall order to even see one!

Hunted it a long time ago when I was younger, seen a fair amount of deer but the biggest one we seen and killed in our group was a crabby 25 inch wide 4x4 seen one on private that was probably about the same but deeper forks. That was back in 09 if I remember right.

Sagebrush77 thanks for the report doing some research on region D for a possible 2023 hunt. I put in for a cow tag in this area and if I draw I plan to apply for the deer tag as well. Sometimes it's hard to find good reports on an area you have never been to. How did you feel about pressure in the area? Or was most the people you seen just road hunting?
I would agree with all of the sentiments above, and I believe Bam Bam has definitely worn out more boot leather than I have. I am a hiker and like to go deep and steep most of the time (usually shed hunting) but this past season I limited myself and tried to stay closer to the trails to be mobile, mainly because I was pretty unfamiliar with the area. I was also trying to use the hunting pressure in hopes that deer would get bumped but because it was mostly road traffic, the deer were hunkering down and not moving around at all. My tactics yielded zero bucks haha.
As far as overall hunting pressure, there was a decent amount of pressure opening weekend, and a lot of guys road hunting. I would just say that I saw more deer mid week and if I hunted that unit again I would not try to be there on opening weekend but I would wait until the weekend warriors leave and come in mid week. As others have pointed out, if you have a moose tag, you will fill it in about two hours.

I hunted region D a few years ago and the two of us were able to fill our tags while also passing up a few bucks. What ended up working for us was still hunting ditches that nobody else wanted to go into. The bucks held tight in them and really needed to almost be stepped on to move.
We are thinking about Region D possibly this year, may I ask which unit you were in and how was access? I'm not asking for specific spots, just trying to eliminate potential units. Also how was the hunting pressure? Thanks for any info.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back