Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Mule Deer-Backpack or Carcamp?

Doug, are you saying there are zero mule deer doe tags available in all of Wyoming this year?

They are available in some areas, mostly off private, difficult access areas or close to irrigated land. I just looked at the 2020 season dates to be sure. Thanks for making me look. Before you could not get mule does anywhere. Private access, I don't have yet but going to work on it. Some close to me too. When I put in before the 2020 dates were approved I didn't see any of that or I would of put in for those areas really quick. I noticed changes in the 2020 area map too.

I would get a hotel in Cheyenne and hunt the alleys for mule bucks!

I wish I could. There are some cities I heard about back east that have archery hunts in parts of the city limits but not Cheyenne. If I was in the unincorporated part, I prolly could. Some nice bucks hand over by the cemetery sometimes.

OP- back packing in isn't necessary. Might be fun though.

WyoDoug- you can hunt mule deer does on national forest just west of you.

OP- back packing in isn't necessary. Might be fun though.

WyoDoug- you can hunt mule deer does on national forest just west of you.

I saw that. Never noticed the muley does were in the seasons until someone asked me. Next year I will put in for the areas with the muley does available. My hunting partner has an area picked out I think.

And I agree. Backpacking in is really not necessary. I base camp and do day hikes, i.e., drive to point A and hunt on foot. I avoid the roads and try to get out before the other hunters and position myself where I think they will come through once the orange hats are moving around and the booms go off and the thermals begin to rise if not already. I rarely go without getting a deer especially does. I pack into new country on a regular basis and rarely go without seeing at least deer. Not sure about the comment of hiking into new areas and not seeing anything, but then I am a meat hunter and will take something of nice size for the meat rather than the antlers.

Last edited:
To me backpacking is a fair weather activity. Something for the early season with long days and nights that seldom get too far below freezing.

October in Northern Wyoming is likely to have snow on the ground. That means a heated dwelling I can stand up in to put on layers. Thus in your question that means Car camping.

I have backpacked (in my younger days that is) in fairly deep snow and wearing snowshoes. The benefit after a snow storm is you know your tracks are fresh and easy to follow. I will hunt elk in snowy weather in a heartbeat as long as it is not an outright blizzard. I have camped on sides of hills in artic rated sleeping bag and a poncho or tarp covering me in a makeshift snow shelter. Not sure if I would do that today though especially when my left foot is numb half the time. But snow itself would not stop me from doing day hikes to hunt.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back