WYOMING (hunting opener vs. Last few days)

Preston.W_HDO

Hey guys, so a little predicament. Brother in-law doesn't want to put in for deer this year since it opened the 15th last year and we archery elk hunt. He rather elk hunt which is fine, I get it. So I'm trying to compromise.

How's the hunting opener vs. The last 6 days or so? This would be H but not sure if that matter.

Thanks guys

I think for that region the issue could be that it might be difficult to access the high country at the end of the season. But you could probably hunt the lower country and still find some deer. Hard to say though with the weather being very unpredictable at that time of the year in Wyoming. Region H I believe most people like to hike into the high country and with a couple feet of snow just getting to the trail head could be problematic.

I think for that region the issue could be that it might be difficult to access the high country at the end of the season. But you could probably hunt the lower country and still find some deer. Hard to say though with the weather being very unpredictable at that time of the year in Wyoming. Region H I believe most people like to hike into the high country and with a couple feet of snow just getting to the trail head could be problematic.
Awesome thank you!

There's typically not a plan-changing amount of snow before the end of the deer season in H. Though by then it likely will have snowed a bit.
How's the deer quality and abundance towards the end? I'm just over the border in Idaho. I might head out and solo a weekend but we kind of made this deal on putting in with eachother.

There are a lot of factors. By the last week of deer, the rifle elk seasons will have started in most of H so there will have been a lot of horse traffic on trails and ridges. Obviously the pool of bucks you might be interested in will have been reduced. Overall there will be less people in the field hunting deer though. Unless you're going to scout and be sitting on a buck you like, there's no major tactical advantage to it either way in my opinion.

If you know how to find buck habitat, make a good plan, and commit to glassing a ton, it won't matter that much when you hunt it.

There are a lot of factors. By the last week of deer, the rifle elk seasons will have started in most of H so there will have been a lot of horse traffic on trails and ridges. Obviously the pool of bucks you might be interested in will have been reduced. Overall there will be less people in the field hunting deer though. Unless you're going to scout and be sitting on a buck you like, there's no major tactical advantage to it either way in my opinion.

If you know how to find buck habitat, make a good plan, and commit to glassing a ton, it won't matter that much when you hunt it.
Awesome thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back