Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming General Tag Areas for Deer

WyoDoug

Didn't draw the deer area I wanted so considering on buying a general OTC tag. I only have a ten day window to hunt and I will be hunting in unfamiliar territory. I normally hunt deer in areas that the general tag don't cover. Not after a trophy, just a 4 point mule deer with good meat on him. Anyone got ideas on areas close to Cheyenne I should look at? Not looking for honey holes, just some areas I can scout and decide on my own how to hunt them. Thinking about setting up day hunts to get some venison back into my freezer.

Good Luck @WyoDoug ! Can't help you but for anyone that reads this post, keep in mind he's an active contributor. :)

Good Luck @WyoDoug ! Can't help you but for anyone that reads this post, keep in mind he's an active contributor. :)
LOL thanks. I got 40+ years experience hunting mule deer and people keep trying to steer me to whitetails. Hunting an area cold turkey for the first time and solo to boot is the toughest form of hunting you can do. I just got told in a muley group on Facebook that you can shoot does. You can, whitetail does. But I am after muleys only. Whitetails tend to be smaller than mulies and the meat is different. But anyways, thanks for the comment. I may have to just go into the walk in areas and try them out. If I wasn't retiring end of next month, I would go back up around Sheridan where they got leftovers still, but due to obligations I have to stay close to Cheyenne until after deer season closes then it's antelope the very next day.

40 years experience and you live in Wyoming and you need help getting a meat buck ? I’m confused , that should be easy I would think . I wish you luck , post pics when you get one !
LOL...looking for an area to start with and look at. I hunt best when I am familiar with the terrain. I am trying to avoid highly congested areas with lots of orange hats on road hunters. Most people I know around where I live tend to do a lot of road hunting and I despise that kind of hunting. I am a Colorado native and moved to Wyoming in 2004 and was laid up with pretty severe muscle injuries from 2005-2014. If I was in Colorado, I could go up into the mountains around Idaho Springs and pop one fairly quickly.

Ok well I’m sure someone from Wyoming will help , I wish u luck and I would help if I could , good luck !

I haven't hunted them - so no idea how hard they get hit, but there's a couple patches of square mile public on Fisher Canyon (Road 228) that runs from Horse Creek Rd towards Laramie. Good luck.

WyoDoug you'll find most of the public spots get hunted pretty hard between Laramie and Cheyenne.
Maybe wait til last week in Oct and find a nice 2 1/2 yr old tending a doe group.

WyoDoug you'll find most of the public spots get hunted pretty hard between Laramie and Cheyenne.
Maybe wait til last week in Oct and find a nice 2 1/2 yr old tending a doe group.
Last week of October, I will be enjoying my epic elk and bear hunt. I got a short period of time to hunt deer if I do it at all this year and kind of restricted close to Cheyenne. Your observation on public spots is exactly what my problem is. I know how to make hunting pressure work in my favor, BUT when it gets highly congested that don't work well. If I find a good spot, I may set up a blind and sit on it. Maybe one of the HMAs will have an undrawn permission slip that limits number of hunters. Some things I am looking at but kinda was hoping that a native of Wyoming might know of spots that don't get so congested. I have seen walk-in areas where you can't go 100-300 yards without running into another hunter which is another reason I do most of my hunting during first and last hours of shooting light.

I haven't hunted them - so no idea how hard they get hit, but there's a couple patches of square mile public on Fisher Canyon (Road 228) that runs from Horse Creek Rd towards Laramie. Good luck.
I have been looking at them on the maps. I may have to make a road trip and hike the ones that are open for access right now and take a closer look.

Didn't draw the deer area I wanted so considering on buying a general OTC tag. I only have a ten day window to hunt and I will be hunting in unfamiliar territory. I normally hunt deer in areas that the general tag don't cover. Not after a trophy, just a 4 point mule deer with good meat on him. Anyone got ideas on areas close to Cheyenne I should look at? Not looking for honey holes, just some areas I can scout and decide on my own how to hunt them. Thinking about setting up day hunts to get some venison back into my freezer.
Are you a bow hunter?

Here's some good info as a starting point! :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back