Caribou Gear

Wyoming General Elk vs Montana General Elk Hunt

TN VOL

Hey guys..just got back from my first ever elk hunt in SW Montana. It was a lot of fun, see tons of big game and tons of people..didn't get an elk but the experience was awesome. I'm curious to know if anyone has had a general Montana elk tag and a general Wyoming elk tag...I've got some points for Wyoming and was thinking of trying Wyoming in 2019 but didn't want to burn the points if the amount of hunters are about the same as hunting a general unit in Montana..what do you guys think??

Hey guys..just got back from my first ever elk hunt in SW Montana. It was a lot of fun, see tons of big game and tons of people..didn't get an elk but the experience was awesome. I'm curious to know if anyone has had a general Montana elk tag and a general Wyoming elk tag...I've got some points for Wyoming and was thinking of trying Wyoming in 2019 but didn't want to burn the points if the amount of hunters are about the same as hunting a general unit in Montana..what do you guys think??

BuzzH will tell you that the MFWP have declared war on elk and that WY is much better. I've never hunted WY but hunted several years in CO and MT and I bet the difference between CO and MT is the same as MT and WY. WY probably has less pressure overall but depending on where you go and your hunt style you can feel either inundated with hunters or completely alone in both states.

Never elk hunted in WY, but work here a lot. If I had preference points I would definitely consider Wyoming. Montana is a tough state for a nonresident, hunting post-rut, vast terrain, and weather can make for difficult hunting. Hunted three times as a nonresident in MT and was never successful tagging an elk, but was most always successful in Colorado/Utah when I hunted in those states. Good luck.

I have and do hunt general tags in both WY and MT. IMO the Wyo tag is better. I have had success in both states but I see less people and more higher end bulls in huntable public land in WY than I do in MT.

I've hunted Wyoming twice (cow tags) and had a good experience each time. BUT, if you saw tons of game at your spot in Montana, I'd personally be inclined to return there. It's basically an OTC tag and your success should improve as you learn the area better.

have hunted general tags in both for the last 4 years (2 each). Slight edge to Wyoming in number of hunters, but not significantly more. Very similar. I think it will be a challenge to hunt a general tag and not see another hunter in either state. It can be done, but will be a challenge.

Thanks for everyone’s replies! It’s expensive for myself and my 2 teenage sons to hunt Montana, 80% of the elk we seen were on private. Would anyone recommend a general Wyoming unit for a cow elk hunt next year or even a limited entry unit for a cow elk hunt. We just want to get an elk..anything would be a trophy to us.. thanks again!

I hunted a general tag in Wyoming this year and never saw another hunter over 3 days of hunting. I saw horse tracks on a road so someone came through but that was the only fresh sign I saw.

I also would second hunting the same areas each. Takes me a while to really learn an area as far as how animals move, how hunters use the area, etc, and once you do that it's much easier to be successful. Last I checked the Montana tag was easier to obtain so that might be better than waiting 2-4 years for Wyoming general tags.

As far as a cow hunt there are lots of good units out there. 7 has a lot of good access for cow hunting on private through various walk in and HMA options.

Never hunted MT elk but I’ll give you my WY Gen tag assessment. This year in WY I saw 28 bulls the day before the season opened. I hiked in about 6 miles and shot a 6 point bull first thing opening morning. Only saw 1 other hunter other than on the roads. I have hunted this area for years but I’ll take a WY Gen tag over any Oregon limited entry tag any time. Not sure how it stacks up to MT though...

As far as a cow hunt there are lots of good units out there. 7 has a lot of good access for cow hunting on private through various walk in and HMA options.

I did some research on 7 it looks good for my purposes as well. I have been looking for somewhere I could get a cow after I am finished in Montana. Thanks for suggesting it. I will have to start working on that.

Was fortunate to take a nice bull in MT and WY general units this year. I didn’t come into contact with another Hunter off trail in either over 14 days.. Maybe it’s all the hunt talk and Rokslide complaints about crowds that makes me plan with a focus on getting away from people but it hasn’t been hard.

I’d prefer to have a WY tag but MT is great too.

Some of the Wyoming general tags are Any elk. You likely won’t be alone, but it’s doable. I’m from Washington so 20% success odds seem astronomical to me.

I've never ran into another Hunter in the woods of wyoming.Cant say the same in Montana.Both are great tags and I'd be happy with either.Montana hunters tend to get further in to hunt then most places I've been to.Never rifle hunted Montana only bowhunted.Bowhunters tend to hunt harder on average so that may have something to do with what I experienced there.If those were my main states to hunt,I'd do Montana on the years I didn't draw Wyoming.

I think the elk hunting success is always deceptive. Either state will have a decent elk harvest each year but who gets the elk is what is deceptive. Montana has around a 17% success rate each year. Out of that 17%, I would guess that 75% of those are the same hunters, year after year. Even if that % is less than 75, it is still a large % of the success.

So 25% of 17% is less than 5% success ratio for the rest of the elk hunters. That really isn’t good odds of getting an elk, but one thing I have noticed, your chance is 0% if you don’t hunt...

Back