Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming elk

Captain31

Going to apply in Wyoming next year for elk with 6 points. Don’t know where a good place to apply for with those points so looking for suggestions. Archery or rifle, which ever gets me into the elk more is fine.
Firefighter from San Diego, thank you

Welcome! HT has a lot of great info on it! I’ve Never hunted Wyoming, but I would look into getting Gohunt. That would help you narrow down your choices.

Welcome! HT has a lot of great info on it! I’ve Never hunted Wyoming, but I would look into getting Gohunt. That would help you narrow down your choices.
Thank you, I have Gohunt but thought I would give this a try too.
thank you

Going to apply in Wyoming next year for elk with 6 points. Don’t know where a good place to apply for with those points so looking for suggestions. Archery or rifle, which ever gets me into the elk more is fine.
Firefighter from San Diego, thank you
This is my first year applying, I have found reading every thread on this forum, rockslide, and google will be a better friend for making your own decision. Every area has elk, I’ve boiled it down to what type of hunt Or experience I wanted based on terrain, draw odds, pressure, and public access. I wanted draw odds at no less than 50/50 and then found the elk area that accommodated those odds then broke it down by terrain and access. I made a list and ranked them based on my web searches then picked a unit and broke that down unit/areainto pieces. Im relatively new on this forum, but asking “what unit for elk” will generally get vague responses. Also Wyoming game and fish has harvest reports which was a big help. Good luck on your quest.

This is my first year applying, I have found reading every thread on this forum, rockslide, and google will be a better friend for making your own decision. Every area has elk, I’ve boiled it down to what type of hunt Or experience I wanted based on terrain, draw odds, pressure, and public access. I wanted draw odds at no less than 50/50 and then found the elk area that accommodated those odds then broke it down by terrain and access. I made a list and ranked them based on my web searches then picked a unit and broke that down unit/areainto pieces. Im relatively new on this forum, but asking “what unit for elk” will generally get vague responses. Also Wyoming game and fish has harvest reports which was a big help. Good luck on your quest.
Thank you

My last two trips for elk have been on general tags and I hunted the wilderness with an outfitter. We saw elk, deer, moose and grizzly bears and of course beautiful scenery.

Undercover, can you please send me your spreadsheet? I wont share it, online anyway..:)
Good luck in the draws

GoHunt can narrow your options down quickly. You lack points to certainly draw the hunts that are considered blue chip. There are several hunts you can draw with points though a chance point creep means you do not draw a unit you figure you could with your first choice. Always a chance hit in the random bucket but sounds like you want to hunt in a few months rather than maybe hunt in a few months.

I would use GoHunt to look at units that last year were drawn with 5 points in the Regular draw. And do the same for the Special draw. Can look at harvest rates and nudge those up until have about 5 units left in Regular and Special. Then look at public land access and things like if are places to camp or motels, nearby places to get fuel, if can road hunt vs can hike to get away from crowds, etc. Might be worth paying the extra for Special, might not.

Once have two or three units nailed down as likely to draw and look good then can ask questions here and are likely one or more members will have some insight.

Sounds like a lot more work that a single post on a website, yes? If was easy, would not be called work. Doing the above work should get you some useful advice.

Go get 'em!

GoHunt can narrow your options down quickly. You lack points to certainly draw the hunts that are considered blue chip. There are several hunts you can draw with points though a chance point creep means you do not draw a unit you figure you could with your first choice. Always a chance hit in the random bucket but sounds like you want to hunt in a few months rather than maybe hunt in a few months.

I would use GoHunt to look at units that last year were drawn with 5 points in the Regular draw. And do the same for the Special draw. Can look at harvest rates and nudge those up until have about 5 units left in Regular and Special. Then look at public land access and things like if are places to camp or motels, nearby places to get fuel, if can road hunt vs can hike to get away from crowds, etc. Might be worth paying the extra for Special, might not.

Once have two or three units nailed down as likely to draw and look good then can ask questions here and are likely one or more members will have some insight.

Sounds like a lot more work that a single post on a website, yes? If was easy, would not be called work. Doing the above work should get you some useful advice.

Go get 'em!

good information thank you for taking the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back