Caribou Gear

Wyoming Elk?

Old man bob

Ok I have 10 points for elk in Wyoming. I am starting research real early ,like now for next Jan APPS. I burned my muley points on 34 last year. Looking for the biggest bang for 10 points I can get. I have killed 2 330+ Bulls here in AZ. so I want to get bigger if possible. I will be 63 in Sept. Can You find Private or do outffitters have it locked up. Not crazy about Grizzly country ,but can't be to picky.Not ruled out an out fitter yet ,but they are on the ridiculas side in Wyo. Need rifle hunt as I don't bow any more ,had shoulder rebuilt.. Sounding picky but I am not really. Just want reasonable and fair. I can glass with anyone and been hunting most my life.Just need access and some help physically when done. Throw any Ideas out ,i will listen and find me a unit I can draw with 10. Looking forward to it. PM Me if want.Thanks ...........BOB!

Some things to consider:
-onX has a B&C layer, and a minimum points to draw filter. When using these together you can really narrow down your options
-Some units are either not accessible for a NR due to the wilderness restriction, or hunting large expanses of the area is impractical without pack animals. Having an outfitter or not can make a big difference (or all the difference) in having a chance at a trophy bull in a particular unit
-WY has a very low human population; there are only so many commercial taxidermists. Call them up and ask for additional info on trophy potential for units
-Max points in WY is 12. If you can wait 2 more years, you can throw your hat in the ring for many of the very best hunts for trophy potential. Some of these units also have much easier access, and can make a significant difference if you have health or mobility limitations. Ex. Unit 100
-It makes a big difference whether you are paying for the special draw or the regular draw, as 10 PPs might be 100% draw odds for special draw, but 0% for the regular draw
-What kind of hunt are you looking for? Early or late season? Low or high elevation? The great thing about WY is there are trophy bulls in a variety of terrain types. It might be helpful to decide what kind of hunt you want to do first, and then look at trophy potential.

Personally, I am planning a WY general tag hunt in an area with trophy potential. The terrain is super rough and likely requires a ton of effort to bag big bull, but I'd rather hunt WY sooner than later, and I am young and heathly and am up for the work and the challenge.

Good luck!

-Max points in WY is 12. If you can wait 2 more years, you can throw your hat in the ring for many of the very best hunts for trophy potential. Some of these units also have much easier access, and can make a significant difference if you have health or mobility limitations. Ex. Unit 100

Well, in two years he’ll have 12, but max will then be 14...

But there are plenty of really good WY elk tags being drawn on less than max points.

Ya I am never gonna catch Max points While still some what Young. Plus I just realized I will be a year older next Sept . So I will be 64 at time of Hunt, I can go high or low.Being from AZ. I don't want a real cold hunt. (puss) so pobably early also. All so will need help of some type . Thanks Guys...........BOB!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back