MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming elk unit 38-1

lesquinn

My two partners and i drew Wyoming elk unit 38-1 for rifle with 6 points. Two of us are 65 plus years old
and we will be taking ours quads to get to areas to walk in as far as 5 miles. I have been studing for some time and looking at Leaky Mountain and Lick Creek drainage. Is it better to hunt closer to Montana? Is there places we can go to glass, it looks like this area is alot of dark timber? This is probably the only time we can go here as it would be 7 to 9 years to draw again and two of us are getting to old. any help or advise would be appreciated. Thank you

I wish I had some help for you guys there sir. Haven't hunted elk anywhere yet. This fall will be my first hunt in Wyoming and it is in the Northwest region.
The area you drew was one I researched 4 years ago for an elk hunt and back then it averaged 3 points to draw.
There are around 350 elk tags given out in 38 and an estimated elk herd of less than 900 I believe. The area isn't that large for that many hunters, especially after you throw in the deer hunters too. It is 95% public land, but the success rates have averaged a little over 30% for last few years.
I think lot's drew it with more points than you and in my opinion it was iffy choice at 3-4 points.
The terrain is rated as rouph so not an easy hunt either for finding or retrieving game.

On a brighter note I have been told some good bulls come out of there.
Maybe someone with first hand knowledge will chime in with some info or at least send you a PM to point you in the right direction.
Wish you the best of luck. Though you might need more than luck to make it out of there with a hunt worth your points.
Hopefully you will still enjoy being out there this fall.

Happy hunting.

My two partners and i drew Wyoming elk unit 38-1 for rifle with 6 points. Two of us are 65 plus years old
and we will be taking ours quads to get to areas to walk in as far as 5 miles. I have been studing for some time and looking at Leaky Mountain and Lick Creek drainage. Is it better to hunt closer to Montana? Is there places we can go to glass, it looks like this area is alot of dark timber? This is probably the only time we can go here as it would be 7 to 9 years to draw again and two of us are getting to old. any help or advise would be appreciated. Thank you
Hi Lesquinn. I drew this tag for the upcoming season. How did your hunt go? How did weather change things?

Welcome to Hunt talk! Weather changes the hunting greatly in the Bighorn units. Need to have a couple different plans weather dependent. What info have you gathered so far?

Welcome to Hunt talk! Weather changes the hunting greatly in the Bighorn units. Need to have a couple different plans weather dependent. What info have you gathered so far?
Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

The friend i drew the tag with was fortunate enough to archery hunt this unit in 2011. Killed a great bull. We are primarily backpack archery hunters but he said he doesn't think backpacking will be necessary in this unit. Lots of roads. It looks like the season opens on the 10th this year so we are hoping some bulls will still be bugling. And we have both heard about how quick the elk migrate off the mountain. But my response is always, "they probably don't all leave."

Sounds like you have a great start. Bulls should be still somewhat vocal. Find some great glassing points and start there for sure. If the weather hits and you can't get around on top, have access spots figured out from the bottom and hunt up. Should have a great hunt. Enjoy

Sounds like you have a great start. Bulls should be still somewhat vocal. Find some great glassing points and start there for sure. If the weather hits and you can't get around on top, have access spots figured out from the bottom and hunt up. Should have a great hunt. Enjoy
Thanks! Thats basically our plan. Do you think backpacking isnt necsessary?

We might be in 37, just to the south, chasing a cow elk, IF the leftover draw works in our favor. Looks like a lot of dark timber, some open meadows, and a few rocky areas, but not too many. Trail access looks doable, just depends on the weather.

We might be in 37, just to the south, chasing a cow elk, IF the leftover draw works in our favor. Looks like a lot of dark timber, some open meadows, and a few rocky areas, but not too many. Trail access looks doable, just depends on the weather.
Best of luck! I think 38 has less dark timber. Dark timber isnt a bad thing though if you hunt it right.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back