Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming doe turn back in options

Falcon75

What are the options for turning a tag back in or giving to an organization in Wyoming if any? It is a doe tag outside of Casper. My buddy isn't going to be able to make it and hate to see tag go to waste if someone else or organization could use it. THANKS.

The tag can be turned back in via the donate a license program. Super simple, all the info is here;

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Licensing-for-Veterans

The forms you need are also on the link. If there's a specific organization you have in mind, such as The Fallen Outdoors or Hunting for Heros, reach out to them and they'll have a contact get a hold of you. But donating to a specific organization isn't mandatory.

What are the options for turning a tag back in or giving to an organization in Wyoming if any? It is a doe tag outside of Casper. My buddy isn't going to be able to make it and hate to see tag go to waste if someone else or organization could use it. THANKS.
I donated my antelope buck tag last year, some deserving veteran got to use it.

Another option may be to just pitch them, pronghorn are in the tank in many areas. Killing a few less does is only going to help.
That is a thought. Not being snied but what are you doing this year with the 30 tags you and wife were going to get? I am 1000 miles away and only catch a story here and there about drought and animal population. What are you seeing on the ground South of Casper unit 32 and 70. I almost didn't put in for my buck tag because of drought but was worried with what changes are in the air for non-residents here in near future. Have 4 doe tags among son, dad and I. I could probably let one go cause we still have Antelope from last years 2 we got. We had to just bust through herds of them to get to where we were legal and then we were just legal by .05 miles and where we both got shots on 2 different days. Seemed like almost too many last year. Love OnX. Would love your input.

Another option may be to just pitch them, pronghorn are in the tank in many areas. Killing a few less does is only going to help.
Forum biology is as bad as ballot box biology. Maybe recommending he talk to the area biologist is a better route than pitching them to help the herd.

Forum biology is as bad as ballot box biology. Maybe recommending he talk to the area biologist is a better route than pitching them to help the herd.

I talk to biologists all the time...tag cuts in wide swaths of Wyoming, that should have been deeper.

One area near Casper that a good friend of mine hunts has been reduced from 2k tags in the mid 80's to 75 any pronghorn and no doe tags.

Don't really need to talk to a biologist to know something is seriously wrong with that picture.

Talked to another guy yesterday that's killed more than dozen B&C pronghorn at the task force meeting and we discussed a particular unit we like to hunt. Severe reduction in numbers.

An area near town here that I'm really familiar with as well, drove through it on my way home from elk hunting and saw 72 total pronghorn. That was looking close and glassing some of the better areas. 10 years ago, I'd see 3-4 hundred.

Finally, I've never seen a problem with letting a few more animals make it through hunting season.

Also, read the GF news, they've mentioned several times that pronghorn numbers are down in lots of Wyoming.

For example:

Last edited:
That is a thought. Not being snied but what are you doing this year with the 30 tags you and wife were going to get? I am 1000 miles away and only catch a story here and there about drought and animal population. What are you seeing on the ground South of Casper unit 32 and 70. I almost didn't put in for my buck tag because of drought but was worried with what changes are in the air for non-residents here in near future. Have 4 doe tags among son, dad and I. I could probably let one go cause we still have Antelope from last years 2 we got. We had to just bust through herds of them to get to where we were legal and then we were just legal by .05 miles and where we both got shots on 2 different days. Seemed like almost too many last year. Love OnX. Would love your input.
Pitching 6 doe pronghorn tags and likely my buck tag that I drew on a second choice. May hunt my buck tag, but more just to say I did than any hope of finding a decent buck. Numbers are absolutely down in nearly every area I've hunted and spent time in the last 20 years.

I would expect even fewer tags next year and I'll be pushing that to the Department and the Commission. Pronghorn need a break and I hope we have a mild winter.

I talk to biologists all the time...tag cuts in wide swaths of Wyoming, that should have been deeper.

One area near Casper that a good friend of mine hunts has been reduced from 2k tags in the mid 80's to 75 any pronghorn and no doe tags.

Don't really need to talk to a biologist to know something is seriously wrong with that picture.

Talked to another guy yesterday that's killed more than dozen B&C pronghorn at the task force meeting and we discussed a particular unit we like to hunt. Severe reduction in numbers.

An area near town here that I'm really familiar with as well, drove through it on my way home from elk hunting and saw 72 total pronghorn. That was looking close and glassing some of the better areas. 10 years ago, I'd see 3-4 hundred.

Finally, I've never seen a problem with letting a few more animals make it through hunting season.

Also, read the GF news, they've mentioned several times that pronghorn numbers are down in lots of Wyoming.

For example:

I have asked Wyoming Biologists the question of should I even use these tags and every time I get a similar response. We figured those concerns when we submitted the tag numbers. If we issued tags the herd can handle those tags.

I’ve driven N out of Laramie every year since 2017, I see the massive decline and have made comments on it.

End of the day I am not a Bio and don’t get paid to recommend tag numbers. I have to trust that those who are paid to do the work are doing it.

I have asked Wyoming Biologists the question of should I even use these tags and every time I get a similar response. We figured those concerns when we submitted the tag numbers. If we issued tags the herd can handle those tags.

I’ve driven N out of Laramie every year since 2017, I see the massive decline and have made comments on it.

End of the day I am not a Bio and don’t get paid to recommend tag numbers. I have to trust that those who are paid to do the work are doing it.
I've learned to not trust Biologists...they're human with bias's, preconceived notions, and political pressure put on them with bills to pay. I'm also out in the sticks more than most of them.

Trusting biologists is why the Bitterroot mountain goat herd, that used to issue 75 tags when I first applied there in 1982, is now issuing ONE tag.

Trust but verify...

I can with 100% certainty, doe tags need be reduced much more statewide right now in Wyoming.

Last edited:
Good on you, for thinking of someone else. I'd start by calling the local Fish and Game office and seeing what your options are.

Biologists have a tough job settling on quotas. More goes into setting harvest numbers than driving around and counting animals.

A few things are always considered.

Current herd size.
The amount of winter/spring moisture available, along with projected summer moisture.
The current quality of the summer habitat.
The amount of, and projected quality of winter habitat.

These people have a tough job and rarely get thanks.

Good luck in your search.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back