Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming Commissioner’s Tag

Raffles, auctions ect ect ..... in the end they will all do more harm then good. We can’t put a price on hunter disenfranchisement, as its exponential. There will come a day when we look back and some of us will lament that we didn’t find other ways.

Last edited:
It matters to me because I would hope that when we sell a public resource the funds go back to that resource.

Like a department saving a lost hiker on public land? Or like rescuing stranded hunter when the creeks rose too much?

Cut them some slack, they have a tough job. They get beat up enough in the media, they don’t need it here too.

Like a department saving a lost hiker on public land? Or like rescuing stranded hunter when the creeks rose too much?

Cut them some slack, they have a tough job. They get beat up enough in the media, they don’t need it here too.

I'm not beating anyone up, I'm simply stating that I wish the funds raised would support the resource, but after looking at Buzz's link it appears most of the Commissioners tags are give aways outside the resource. Look how much frustration SFW causes with their 30% take at the WHCE.

Yeah...........................so any money from a gov tag should absolutely 1000%, no problems ever, should always 1000% be directed back towards the resource it stole from.

But, the current state of the western draw tags have turned me into a whore and I will most likely buy a tix on a desperate whim to avoid a dull fall.

It matters to me because I would hope that when we sell a public resource the funds go back to that resource.
Like the Boy Scouts selling elk sheds. Little league teams and all sorts of stuff. Where have you been?
CDqD1KV.jpg

Like the Boy Scouts selling elk sheds. Little league teams and all sorts of stuff. Where have you been?
CDqD1KV.jpg

Elk sheds aren't held in public trust....I've purchased Commissioner raffle tags before, but from groups like WWF. As mentioned previously, I didn't realize so many tags went to unrelated groups....and to state the obvious it's not that their causes aren't worthy.

I'm not beating anyone up, I'm simply stating that I wish the funds raised would support the resource, but after looking at Buzz's link it appears most of the Commissioners tags are give aways outside the resource. Look how much frustration SFW causes with their 30% take at the WHCE.

The commission is aware and they are taking some heat on it. I've talked to a couple of the commissioners and they see the point of contention that some people have with these tags.

Another thing that isn't really brought up a whole lot is that there are management decisions being made that impact tag numbers and even hunts from happening or not, strictly because of the impact of Governors and Commission tags. There is at least one or two late deer seasons that happened in the past that will never be open again due to Commission and Governor tag abuse. Some elk areas have as many, if not more commissioners tags hunting than people who get tags through the draw. One sheep area has kept the quota below the threshold of tags because if the quota is raised just 2 more tags, then the Governor tags and raffle tags would likely all be hunted in that unit. Meaning, if the GF increased the quota through the draw by 2, there would likely be 5 governors tags and 2 raffle tags hunted there too. Long story short, by issuing 2 more tags, probably 9 more rams would be killed.

There are benefits to the tags, no doubt, in particular the governors tags as 80% of the funds go directly to wildlife related projects. Some of the commission tags fund some great stuff too.

But, I think its also tough to argue that there isn't room for improvement with both programs to return even more to wildlife, habitat, and management of same.

Elk sheds aren't held in public trust....I've purchased Commissioner raffle tags before, but from groups like WWF. As mentioned previously, I didn't realize so many tags went to unrelated groups....and to state the obvious it's not that their causes aren't worthy.

Some may consider elks sheds on a national refuge to be a public resource.

Buzz posted this for Wyoming a while back and it was a real eye opener.

Back