Wyoming Combo Hunt 2016

mbotkin

Hello everone. I'm new here to this forum, and am starting to gather some info for next year. I'm needing some opinions from those here who are well educated, and know this stuff. Hopefully someone whose been there done that or lives near the area. Anyways I'm considering area 27 for antelope, and 10 for mule deer. With 3pp for antelope and 1 for deer I stand a 70% chance as it was in 2015 of drawing my tags, not bad odds. The game and fish dept has pointed me this way, hopefully on a decent track? Lol. Anyway I will be a solo hunter spending my time in Thunder Basin as it looks on public land. Anyone's thoughts or suggestions would be muchly appreciated, and thanks in advance

Unit 27 is a good one for antelope and everyone I've sent out there on their first hunt, especially this year, had a good time and got nice bucks. However, I would not waste a PP on unit 10 for deer in that area. It was so bad in 2010 when I was there that I hunted hard for a week only seeing 6 deer and all were does. It has gotten worse in that unit since then such that the G&F made it a Limited Quota unit this year with very few tags issued. I would look at doing only the antelope hunt or if you have sufficient time for a combo hunt to look into getting a deer tag in another location, possibly Region Y to the west of there. Good luck!

Thanks topgun for the info. When I asked G&F out of Wyoming just curious why they would point me this way. I did explain to them as being unable to hike mountains and steep terrain due to a car accident several years ago and a bad foot. I saw the 2014 harvest was 52.6% for area 10. Also curious why no doe tags are offered for antelope or mulies in these areas? Having just a week of vacation next year to apply towards my hunt, any other thoughts?

Thanks topgun for the info. When I asked G&F out of Wyoming just curious why they would point me this way. I did explain to them as being unable to hike mountains and steep terrain due to a car accident several years ago and a bad foot. I saw the 2014 harvest was 52.6% for area 10. Also curious why no doe tags are offered for antelope or mulies in these areas? Having just a week of vacation next year to apply towards my hunt, any other thoughts?

I doubt seriously that the harvest % you mentioned is accurate and I have no idea why anyone in the G&F that is knowledgeable would send anyone to unit 10 for a decent deer hunt. If you only have a week to hunt, I would strongly suggest that you stick to just the antelope hunt in unit 27 and buy another PP for deer next summer to be used another year. IMHO a week is just not enough time to do a combo hunt justice when it's of the DIY type and you'e never hunted out there before. If you take a good antelope buck early in your hunt next year, then you'll have some time to look into a decent area for a deer hunt the following year or two.

I agree with topgun on this tone. I don't think a week is enough time for both unless you are on a ranch, have a lot of experience or both. Concentrate on the pronghorn and a week gives you time to take your time and learn. Not sure about the deer hunting so I will just defer to topgun but I'm sure the pronghirn will be fine. I have hunted just to the east and have been pleased. The deer harvest data is pretty raw when it is under a general tag like I THINK it was but not sure. The new data coming back from the limited quota unit will be far more accurate. Also, unless I am mistaken the harvest data is only representative of who responds to the survey. So it has some flaws in the numbers. Good luck

Last edited:
I agree with topgun on this tone. I don't think a week is enough time for both unless you are on a ranch, have a lot of experience or both. Concentrate on the pronghorn and a week gives you time to take your time and learn. Not sure about the deer hunting so I will just defer to topgun but I'm sure the pronghirn will be fine. I have hunted just to the east and have been pleased. The deer harvest data is pretty raw when it is under a general tag like I THINK it was but not sure. The new data coming back from the limited quota unit will be far more accurate. Also, unless I am mistaken the harvest data is only representative of who responds to the survey. So it has some flaws in the numbers. Good luck

What you mentioned about data is correct. That % would be misleading because unit 10 was part of the Region B tag until it went LQ this season. The G&F sends out random requests to a certain % of hunters in each area and only a certain % responds even though it only takes a couple minutes online. The G&F then uses the results to estimate the harvest rate, and it could be off + or - , but I don't know how much it could vary from what was actually taken out of a given area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back