Wyoming Bighorn sheep

Hi Pam,

I filled my tag on Wednesday AM. Solo ram on that larger NE public section at the bottom of Long CanyonSybille Canyon Ram 1919.jpg.
We rough scored him at 173. 430 yds up hill with my 7mm Rem Mag. 168 gr. Berger VLD hunting. I spotted him at @800 yds behind us in a little cut, feeding away. We had already glassed this hill to the SouthWest of the corrals, but he wasn't visible in this grassy cut. I could tell he was a good ram as his horns were shining golden in the sunrise. We halved the distance and I set up on an rocky outcropping, by this time he was bedded and looking at us. I couldn't get a good set up as I wasn't able to get my rifle elevated enough, so I back crawled and went to the other side of the rocks and was at a much better angle for the shot. I had time to get set and calm myself...I thought. I shot right over him. He bolted, ran in an uphill semi-circle and stopped, facing to the right. I held on his shoulder and touched it off. The slight breeze carried the shot forward into his neck, his head dropped and he bolted down hill for about 20 yds before tumbling for another 40 yds or so, we could hear his horns smacking the rock. My pack out was only about 250-300 yds of gravely rock face.

I truly appreciate your time and knowledge of the area. I received helpful hints from several others that had hunted 19 as well. We scouted this location in late August and been in there several times, but only seeing sheep further into the private lands. We hoped they would come down, and he did. Happy to be a member of the '19-19 club. Best, Gary

Awesome Gary, was really hoping your hunt worked out. Those sheep travel that area frequently but you have to be there when they are to make it count. I know you put in your time and great effort. Congrats on a great ram!

An update on the area I took my sheep in, GoWyo! as well.
The G&F at Sybille contacted us, they have found some dead sheep in the area near to where my ram and GoWyo!'s came from. A new bacteria not seen in bighorn sheep before has taken 6 sheep, don't know if they are rams or ewes.
G&F is going up for a walk on the ranch we work for to look for dead sheep, we are going up as well for a look around. Sure hoping it is an isolated occurrence and not widespread.
Some nice rams and lots of ewes and lambs winter in this area, as well as the resident bands.

• Sad
Reactions: Oak
Thanks Gary, hoping it is very isolated. Cole at Sybille is going out for the next few days and weeks to watch for sick sheep and dead ones they can get samples from, we'll be looking on the private too.
It's a bacteria not seen in wild sheep before, according to the lab in town.

It is unit 19. You have to wonder if its a new bacteria if it came from transplanted bighorns from Montana.

It sucks that bighorns are just looking for a reason to die.

Yes it is Area 19.
So far 6 sheep, a mix of rams and ewes have been found. It seems to be centralized roughly around the Sybille Canyon area.
Hoping for news on the specific strain on Monday or so, samples have been sent out of state as well as to the state lab in Laramie.
It appears to be something that elk, deer , sheep and cattle may all be susceptible to.
It also has a very rapid onset with mortality they are saying so it is new, not necessarily from the Montana transplants. It needs direct contact to spread from animal to animal.
G&F is doing an concentrated effort with boots on the ground looking for dead and sick animals, snow drifts are still an issue for access into some spots.
Hoping to hear tonight that no dead sheep were found today, we did see some healthy ewes this afternoon in the canyon right near where dead sheep were found.
It probably will not affect tag numbers this year but could very well in future years.
We'll be hearing from the biologist and the Sybille guys and gals til this runs it's course.

Wonder if it affects antelope? I've found 11 dead antelope in less than a half mile area. Had the game and fish come out to take a look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back