Wyoming Archery Antelope

rjlefty3

Thinking about taking a trip to Wyoming this fall. I went last year and had a blast, looking to go back. This time I'm thinking about using my bow and trying my luck that way (spot and stalk). Never used a bow out west so really looking forward to that challenge. I have no points so I know my options are limited for the draw. Also want to do it on public land.

Just curious what the crowd situation is during archery season. Im guessing they wouldn't be near as bad as rifle season but I also figure I'm going to need a few different chances with the amount of blown stalks Ill have!

And any suggestions on units? I know I'll be limited with 0 points going into this (I'll also apply for better units and hope to pass through the random draw) that will most likely limit me the eastern half of the state. I know enough through my internet research but I'd appreciate any input from anyone who's actually had boots on the ground there!

I have hunted Wyoming antelope several times during archery season. It is unusual to see any other hunters. In my experience, 99% of the time you will have the whole place to your self.

That's what I was expecting. I'll be needing plenty of chances if I end up going! Thanks for the help!

Look at the units 16-23 that all have a ton of leftover tags after the draw due to limited public land. You won't even need to put in for the draw and can buy your tag OTC online in July. I normally wouldn't advise doing any of those units if you were planning a rifle hunt. However, there is enough land up in 23 with the Beaver Creek WIHA and adjacent public land alone to have a good hunt with archery equipment, whereas it will be a zoo for the gun season!

Djfan, I'll make note of that. Just send me the location to your exact hunting spot. You know, so I know where not to go...

Topgun, appreciated the advice. I actually hunted unit 21 on leftovers last year and know exactly what you mean. Really was like a circus, but was able to find some on public after a little exploring. I'm leaning back to that area based on the type of terrain and my familiarity with it. Like to explore a new area but I really want an archery antelope too!

You could look at western South Dakota if you are going archery. You can hunt most of western SD with an archery tag, but Harding, Butte, and Perkins counties have the best public land options.

You could look at western South Dakota if you are going archery. You can hunt most of western SD with an archery tag, but Harding, Butte, and Perkins counties have the best public land options.

NW SD is my next option. Never hunted around there but it does have more public land than I'll be able to see. I may try to do a mule deer combo hunt so that area would give me that chance too.

On a side note, does anyone know how the antelope herd is doing in that region? I know there were a couple rough winters but I'm guessing it's rebounding nicely since NR rifle tags are back up for grabs this year.

There is a lot of private ground in eastern Wyoming that can be accessed for free. I'd suggest a look at some of the units that have properties enrolled in Hunter Management Areas or Walk In Areas.

In the future I plan on doing more archery hunting ,antelope and elk are on this years list. At near 63 years old ,I may sell some of my hunting rifles and turn more to hunting with my recurve and crossbow.

Be careful archery hunting antelope...it becomes like meth and you'll get addicted :D

I did rifle last year and I feel like I'm already addicted. This might not be good for me then. Good thing I'm a procrastinator, I'll deal with that part later!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back