Wyoming 2nd Choice

Caseknife

Just to verify my pea-brained thoughts, but if there are no Random tags for a specific hunt, that means there is no chance of being drawn as a second choice for that hunt in the initial application. Am I correct?

there would not only need to be tags, but there would need to be fewer 1st choice PP applicants + 1st choice random applicants for that tag than the quota. Probably not gonna happen much, and definitely isn’t going to be a tag most ppl want. Focus on your 1st choice plan is what I’m saying.

Probably end up burning points for the sake of a group cow hunt, instead of first choice bull hunt in the same unit and second choice cow. Such is life. Thanks for the response confirming my thoughts.

Probably end up burning points for the sake of a group cow hunt, instead of first choice bull hunt in the same unit and second choice cow. Such is life. Thanks for the response confirming my thoughts.
I have not scrutinized the success tables for cow tags, so my comment was more targeted to bull or any elk. Depending on the size of your group, the quota, and applicant trends, maybe you get lucky. But even cow hunts have likely been generating increased demand lately, so you can’t count on them being leftover for 2nd if its tight. Another strategy could be to not go in as a group, but to all apply as individuals. Upside some ppl draw a bull tag, others a cow. Downside being there is a chance someone draws nothing. I’m oversimplifying since I don’t know the units you are interested in. But large group applications can be fraught with compromises no matter how you try to arrange it these days.

Look at the random odds; as mentioned 1st choice carries to the random side till apps or tags are gone. Then 2nd choice starts up.

View attachment 205862
So, in your circled example, two applicants would have been drawn with their second choice and two would also have been drawn with their third choice. With the hunt 16-1, just below, there would be no chance of anyone drawing with a second choice, is that correct?

there would not only need to be tags, but there would need to be fewer 1st choice PP applicants + 1st choice random applicants for that tag than the quota. Probably not gonna happen much, and definitely isn’t going to be a tag most ppl want. Focus on your 1st choice plan is what I’m saying.
This, 100%

So, in your circled example, two applicants would have been drawn with their second choice and two would also have been drawn with their third choice. With the hunt 16-1, just below, there would be no chance of anyone drawing with a second choice, is that correct?
correct

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back