WYO Gen. Elk license

U can hunt a bunch of units with a general tag. U don't have to designate a specific unit but u r limited to the general units and can't hunted the LE areas

Then why do i have a better chance to draw one unit other than another? draw odds are my best chance in unit 9 and 110 with one point.41%

You can apply for individual limited entry units, or, apply for a general license valid for multiple units.

The LE license is good for one unit only (usually). General is valid for all units listed in the nr booklet as "general" under the "license" column.

9/110 are General units, your .41 odds are for the Gen as a whole, not just 9/110. If you want to hunt Gen in 2016 with 1 point you'll need to pony up the money for the Special General license.

Clipboard01_zpsrh7dpksu.jpg

Last edited:
Both units 9 and 110 can be hunted using a limited quota and General tag (or license). The difference between the tags are what you can hunt and also when, as outlined in the regulations.

The 41% odds sound like the odds to draw a general tag.

Why would any one try to draw a cow/ calf tag if you can get them at a disc. after the draw.?

If you want to hunt Gen in 2016 with 1 point you'll need to pony up the money for the Special General license.

Or you could get lucky like I did and have a buddy with a few points that is sick of waiting and just wants to hunt elk. Put in with him as a party.

Geez, I hope BuzzH doesn't see that or he'll have a hissy, LOL!

I must have missed the part where ashersdad was soliciting strangers for the use of their points.

The obvious, reading the English language, and comprehension have always been elusive for you though, so about what I would expect.

Old man, the type 6/7 tags are still half price in the draw if thats what you want to spend your points on. Limited quota yes, but a type 6/7 tag is still the reduced price.

You don't get them at a discount after the draw, their price is set based on the type of tag they are on.

After reading this thread, I think I may have screwed the pooch on my application. I put in for myself, my Dad, and my son on a party hunt - each of us having three points. I listed two LE units as first and second choices, and GEN as 3rd choice. I think we are 1 or two points shy of what we need in the LE's, but I thought we might still draw a GEN - now I am thinking we will probably end up empty. Is it impossible to draw a GEN as a 3rd choice?

Wyoming is my favorite state to hunt, but I do think that their elk regs, seasons & license types are alittle confusing.

Last edited:
After reading this thread, I think I may have screwed the pooch on my application. I put in for myself, my Dad, and my son on a party hunt - each of us having three points. I listed two LE units as first and second choices, and GEN as 3rd choice. I think we are 1 or two points shy of what we need in the LE's, but I thought we might still draw a GEN - now I am thinking we will probably end up empty. Is it impossible to draw a GEN as a 3rd choice?

75% of NR tags are allocated by preference point by looking at 1st choice only. Then 25% go into the random draw (plus any extra if there were fewer 1st choice applicants than tags). The random draw goes 1st choice, then 2nd, and then 3rd choice. Your points don't matter in the random draw.

The general elk tag will have more 1st choice applicants than tags available, so it will never get down to the 2nd or 3rd choice. 75% will go by preference point to 1st choice applicants, then 25% at random to the remaining 1st choice applicants.

Yeah we learned out lesson last year and we had gen as our second choice and paid for the special license.

That's too bad because if you don't have enough PPs to draw the first choice tag in that first draw you would have to get real lucky in the random draw to get the tag and burn your PPs. There would be no way to get to your second choice since there would be no tags left and the same would go for the General tag. It's getting harder and harder to draw that tag and it was only about a 50% chance as a second choice last year in the higher priced Special Draw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back