Caribou Gear Tarp

WYO Elk Preference Point Question

805Bowhunter

Hey all,
I have not applied to Wyoming before and have read the regulations but am unclear about one aspect of the preference point allocation. I am a non-resident and will be buying a PP after July 1st 2017. It seems as though my PP will be applied to my 2018 application correct? If that is the case, and say I don't get my first choice hunt on the 2018 application (which is obviously very likely as a NR with one PP), I would then get another PP. So after my 2018 application, I would theoretically have 1 PP from 2017 purchased standalone/outside of drawing plus 2018 PP from drawing. Would I then be able to purchase a 3rd PP after July 1st to apply going into the 2019 elk hunting season? I guess the short of my question is, is it possible to get 2 PP in one year (i.e. miss out 1st choice hunt and also buy a preference point in the summer and fall?)? It doesn't seem right but I can't find anything that says a hunter can't do that?

I hope my question is not too confusing. Thanks in advance for your help.

Correct, if you buy one point in 2017 and apply in 2018 then you will have one point in 2018 drawing. You can chose to pay for point during the drawing in 2018 but that point can be used next year.

Only one point purchase per year, per species.
Points purchased can then be used the following year during the drawing or just banked until you feel you have enough.
You will be better off choosing an area by how many years you are willing to wait. After you know the expected draw odds of an area unit or general letter notation you will have a better idea of where you likely can draw.
Though point creep can and does bite a guy in the butt. So two or three years could turn into three or four if demand changes. Every area is different, some stay close to same but some triple if people start having good success and the word spreads.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back