WY Windmills

Irrelevant

I debated putting this in the public land category, but for the quote from the Laramie County School District 1 trustee Marguerite Herman told the land board its fiduciary responsibilities lay with the schools. “This is not public land,” she said, “it’s trust land.”

She's right, it's not technically public land, but I don't like it. Its right in the middle of elk winter range. The place sure is windy enough though.

Between the windmills and the roads, electric poles, etc., it will sure change the landscape.

The part that confused me is that they said it wouldn't impair existing agriculture and grazing leases already in place on the land. I can't see how that is possible.

Between the windmills and the roads, electric poles, etc., it will sure change the landscape.

The part that confused me is that they said it wouldn't impair existing agriculture and grazing leases already in place on the land. I can't see how that is possible.
We have a lot of wind farms in KS I have a friend whose family leased land to a wind farm they put them up and they farm and continue to run cattle around them there is some disruption when they are being constructed but once they are in It’s pretty much back to normal other than you have massive ugly wind mills all over the place

And not as environmental friendly as they claim. The blades are not recyclable so when those reach end of life, they are landfilled. The hydraulic oil used in them has to be changed every 18 months to 3 years. Each one uses around 2-300 gallons. I question how cost effective they are compared to the electricity produced. Nice idea on paper and to push environmental issues but in my opinion they are not as cost effective as proponents claim.

"The Rail Tie Wind Project boundaries are within two miles of Interstate 80. Project critics say the area — a mix of private and state-owned land — is the city’s best option for the kind of high-end residential development needed to attract University of Wyoming faculty and upscale business employees."

So apparently critics would rather see the land subdivided into ranchettes. And not just any ranchettes, but suburban development for "upscale" clientele. So much for the supposed concerns for wildlife habitat. I'm no huge fan of wind turbines everywhere, but I'm having a tough time feeling much sympathy.

And yes, "state trust" land is public only in the sense that it is mandated to generate revenue for Wyoming's state institutions. Not convinced that this lease would be the best way to do that.

but like WAY offshore. We have large enough bird migrations over the water that they get picked up on the radar as precipitation, and up to several hundred miles offshore.
Yes, I guess birds don't migrate thru Wyoming

More Gov subsidized wind farms killing wildlife and habitat is what I see. Yes you can still graze cattle around them but the disturbance of the landscape and constant traffic does not bode well for wildlife. I wonder what the environmental impact statement read like.

A wind generators footprint is 15 acres.
That accounts for:
1) operational airspace
2) blade sweep
and
3) maintenance

Not to mention the bird kills and they are just plain a$$ ugly!

You can't increase wind speed to adjust for maximum demand.
You can't decrease wind speed when demand is low.
You can't store excess generation.
American energy boondoggle!
A 5 acre gas well site can generate more energy in a month than a windmill can in it's life time!

I suppose THE most ironic part is, you CAN NOT manufacture ALL the components of a windmill WITHOUT petroleum!

I'm not understanding the hate over wind power. Can someone clue me in? I'll be up front and admit I haven't read up on the details how efficient they are in the big picture.

All energy generation has plusses and minuses. Nuke, hydro, coal, solar, etc. Some are easily scaled some aren't. Some are cleaner or dirtier relative to one another. One thing about wind generation that's great: wind is a free and relatively clean source of energy. Sure we can't power the entire grid off of it but no one is saying we should.

I'm not understanding the hate over wind power. Can someone clue me in? I'll be up front and admit I haven't read up on the details how efficient they are in the big picture.

All energy generation has plusses and minuses. Nuke, hydro, coal, solar, etc. Some are easily scaled some aren't. Some are cleaner or dirtier relative to one another. One thing about wind generation that's great: wind is a free and relatively clean source of energy. Sure we can't power the entire grid off of it but no one is saying we should.
Ruined landscapes are the first complaint that comes to mind.

For me It's hard to see an area that you have spent time in hunting, that's unmolested more or less, be changed so much by the addition of giant windmills, or any other man made structure really. Whether it helps the economy or not, a bit of the natural world is lost, and not likely to return.

I deal with them in the Midwest because technically pretty much every square inch of earth around here has already been manipulated by the hands of man, but putting up some giant towers in the middle of some nice countryside seems pretty messed up.
I don’t care for the sea of red lights on the night sky either.

Back