Caribou Gear Tarp

WY whitetail tactics

Sagebrush1

Hello,

My son drew a Whitetail tag for north/central WY. It’s a second choice tag with limited public access, so it’s going to be tough. I’ve never hunted them, but I figure my approach needs to different than mulies in some respects. I’m e-scouting and finding limited areas, but some spots that I feel are far enough from a road, and have the right habitat. He’ll be satisfied with any ‘ol buck.

What I’m wondering is:
- what part of the season (all of November) is “better”?
-when I think of whitetail I think of riparian habitat, and timber. Am I on the right track?
-is rattling effective?
-what am I missing?

thanks,
Jim

Based on what I know of whitetails when I've gone to OH to hunt, is the rut is prime time, early in November usually. During that rut those bucks get STUPID. All their self preservation tactics are thrown to the wind. Rattling works, but don't be over zealous with it. Light rattling is enough to get a deers attention, but loud intense rattling may keep them at bay. Try and imitate like two young bucks are sparring it out so a big boy will come in thinking he's the dominant buck. If you're too heavy some of the younger dudes may not want to partake in the festivities.

WY may rut at a different time than ohio bucks, but I'd err on the early side of the month to get your best bet.

Any others may debunk my 2 cents if they got more knowledge or experience in this area than myself, as I've never hunted WY.

What I’m wondering is:
-when I think of whitetail I think of riparian habitat, and timber. Am I on the right track?
-is rattling effective?
-what am I missing?

thanks,
Jim
Answers from my Wyo whitetail experience.

1) All of November is good. Generally speaking 11/7-11/20 will be peak.
2) Yes. Most does and smaller buck will spend the whole day cruising through the cottonwood bottoms. Better bucks and a few does will leave these areas at first light and go into draws off of the main river channel to spend the day.
3) Never tried it.
4) DOnt overlook trying to obtain access to private. Its not easy to find but there are still some landowners that will allow access for whitetails at what I consider a reasonable fee. Particularly for youth.

Good luck.

I have hunted Upstate NY whitetails all my life. One thing where whitetails are very different from mule deer are whitetails do a really good job of living close to the road, so getting far off from the beaten path may actually take you away from whitetail habitat. River bottoms and marshes mentioned by others is good advice. You will want to learn how to identify "edge" areas. Whitetails thrive living in those areas that are not mature woods and yet still close to open fields, feeding and water areas. As @Bigjay73 mentioned Randy's WY whitetail episode is a good show of finding those edge areas.

Best of luck!

Jim, if you'll be anywhere around Kaycee Wyoming, you might send me a message when you get up here. My group will be hunting in the area for Pronghorn in October ( I'm guessing you'll be coming in November?). I may be able to help put you guys on a good WT spot, although I am not sure which Type 3 tag your boy drew.

Different state obviously, but I live/hunt in Kentucky. River bottoms and drainages are always a good place to start. As mentioned above, the rut in November will be your best bet. Going back and looking at my harvest logs, I've killed the most mature bucks on November 12-14. As far as rattling goes, I've only seen it work with the most mature bucks. Smaller bucks that can't whoop up on the bigger bucks don't bother with checking it out.

Thanks everyone for the all the help!

there are no landowners listed for our area for either WT or PH. Are there any back door channels to find someone?

Jim, if you'll be anywhere around Kaycee Wyoming, you might send me a message when you get up here. My group will be hunting in the area for Pronghorn in October ( I'm guessing you'll be coming in November?). I may be able to help put you guys on a good WT spot, although I am not sure which Type 3 tag your boy drew.
Shoot. We’re not going to be in that area. Thank you though 👍

GIS for the county will have landowners names and you can google their contact info to make some phone calls.

Hello,

My son drew a Whitetail tag for north/central WY. It’s a second choice tag with limited public access, so it’s going to be tough. I’ve never hunted them, but I figure my approach needs to different than mulies in some respects. I’m e-scouting and finding limited areas, but some spots that I feel are far enough from a road, and have the right habitat. He’ll be satisfied with any ‘ol buck.

What I’m wondering is:
-is rattling effective?
-what am I missing?

thanks,
Jim
I've notice where I am at in Wyoming the rut is a Little later in November. Late 2nd week to end of November

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back