Caribou Gear Tarp

WY whitetail tactics

What I’m wondering is:
- what part of the season (all of November) is “better”? The week before thanksgiving should get peak rut
-when I think of whitetail I think of riparian habitat, and timber. Am I on the right track? Yessir
-is rattling effective? Yes, it can be, mixed w/ grunts. Don't be afraid to move locations if you're not seeing response
-what am I missing? I think you're on the right path

What I’m wondering is:
- what part of the season (all of November) is “better”? The week before thanksgiving should get peak rut
-when I think of whitetail I think of riparian habitat, and timber. Am I on the right track? Yessir
-is rattling effective? Yes, it can be, mixed w/ grunts. Don't be afraid to move locations if you're not seeing response
-what am I missing? I think you're on the right path
Thank you!

Hello,

My son drew a Whitetail tag for north/central WY. It’s a second choice tag with limited public access, so it’s going to be tough. I’ve never hunted them, but I figure my approach needs to different than mulies in some respects. I’m e-scouting and finding limited areas, but some spots that I feel are far enough from a road, and have the right habitat. He’ll be satisfied with any ‘ol buck.

What I’m wondering is:
- what part of the season (all of November) is “better”?
-when I think of whitetail I think of riparian habitat, and timber. Am I on the right track?
-is rattling effective?
-what am I missing?

thanks,
Jim

Which part of WY?

If hunting in the eastern part, the rut may be a bit later than you think. Hunting in western SD a fair amount, it starts about the first week of November and ramps up from there.

Back