WY unit conversation

I am looking for someone who might be willing to provide me some insight on units to apply for '23, it will be my first time applying for WY. My brother lived out near Torrington for a number of years, but the only times I was able to visit were during Christmas or into January when the wind chill was so bad I was thankful to go back to Alaska. I'm not really looking for trophies or trophy areas, just a a bit of guidance on reasonable areas I should be look at for either bow or rifle seasons - I'm as interested in the scenery as I am in chasing critters.

If anyone out there is wouldn't mind helping out, I'd appreciate a PM just as much as a public discussion.

Thanks in advance
-N

Reactions: shb
You still have time to pick up points this year to use for next year.
I just put in for pref points for deer, elk, and antelope yesterday. Not sure if the bighorn is a pipedream that I'll be chasing for the rest of my life or if there's hope. Is there a list anywhere on here or out in the Google that lists which units are trophy units? Part of what I'm trying to figure out is where the never-gonna-happen units are and which ones offer good opportunity to get out in the backcountry.

How many points do you have? What kind of country do you prefer to hunt?
1 point each for deer, antelope, elk. I'm a sucker for terrain with tree cover - I've done a few sub-alpine and alpine hunts in AK and they are fun but 3x the calories to bring something back to the truck. Ideally I'd hike in 4-10 miles and either set or bounce a spike camp around for a week or so, anymore likely requires a reload on food supplies or a mid point cache, I guess it depends on the access.

Your wasting money on elk points, and it's getting close to being that way on antelope.

Do some reading on Pont creep, and start going to church and such, to help you in the random.

What I think feeds point creep and this is just an unproven theory is that people hold onto points too long before they apply. This in turn fuels point creep in the same manner that excessive spending fuels inflation. My personal thoughts is when you are ready to hunt, go ahead and put in for the area you want then if you do not draw get you a point. I am a resident so not sure of NRs automatically get points if they do not draw which they should. The market charges what it can so if you are offering up 10 points to guarrantee a draw, then that becomes the point level for the next successful draw because the next person knowing that will bank to meet or exceed that before putting in for the license.

As for areas, west of I-25 is what I would consider for any antelope. Deer, elk and bear are best found in the high country. Moose I know dipshit about so won't try on that. I know where some area but no expert on locating them when it comes hunting time. East of I-25 is still facing effects of drought and disease.

What I think feeds point creep and this is just an unproven theory is that people hold onto points too long before they apply.
That is actually a fairly sound theory.
As for areas, west of I-25 is what I would consider for any antelope. Deer, elk and bear are best found in the high country. Moose I know dipshit about so won't try on that. I know where some area but no expert on locating them when it comes hunting time. East of I-25 is still facing effects of drought and disease.

Thank you for the feedback @WyoDoug I appreciate it. I'm not a moose guy either. This might be subjective - but what do you consider to be the 'high country' areas? I'm basically looking at the units around Bighorn Mtns and then basically everything from Yellowstone south to the Wyoming range that isn't considered a wilderness area. Seems like a good number of those require a general tag entry.

That is actually a fairly sound theory.

Thank you for the feedback @WyoDoug I appreciate it. I'm not a moose guy either. This might be subjective - but what do you consider to be the 'high country' areas? I'm basically looking at the units around Bighorn Mtns and then basically everything from Yellowstone south to the Wyoming range that isn't considered a wilderness area. Seems like a good number of those require a general tag entry.
Bighorns are great area to hunt and lots of bears. However, to get where the elk and bears are it is very rugged country and otherwise hard to hunt. Sometimes that area is very physically challenged. If you have horses and mules available I would use them. 104 is a very good area especially around Fossil Butte.

Bighorns are great area to hunt and lots of bears. However, to get where the elk and bears are it is very rugged country and otherwise hard to hunt. Sometimes that area is very physically challenged. If you have horses and mules available I would use them. 104 is a very good area especially around Fossil Butte.
No horses or mules, just leather-wrapped 2 wheel drive and a positive attitude :cool:

I guess the next step is to triage the areas with reasonable access, tag numbers, and do some homework on my own. I genuinely appreciate the info and terrain comments.

-N

I just put in for pref points for deer, elk, and antelope yesterday. Not sure if the bighorn is a pipedream that I'll be chasing for the rest of my life or if there's hope. Is there a list anywhere on here or out in the Google that lists which units are trophy units? Part of what I'm trying to figure out is where the never-gonna-happen units are and which ones offer good opportunity to get out in the backcountry.
Don't even bother buying any points for the big 5...it's a pipe dream for sure now. DEA even over the next few years will be a pipe dream if what Buzz and others say will happen happens. Look at the WY Game and Fish site for the units and the draw odds. They also have a map that shows all the public land in blue, yellow. As a non res you cannot hunt a lot of the west without a guide or a resident guide. You might get lucky in random draws, you never know. I personally think you will need 2-3 points to get what you seem to be looking for. I hunted unit 32 once and really liked it, close to things and a decent amount of land.

Don't even bother buying any points for the big 5...it's a pipe dream for sure now. DEA even over the next few years will be a pipe dream if what Buzz and others say will happen happens. Look at the WY Game and Fish site for the units and the draw odds. They also have a map that shows all the public land in blue, yellow. As a non res you cannot hunt a lot of the west without a guide or a resident guide. You might get lucky in random draws, you never know. I personally think you will need 2-3 points to get what you seem to be looking for. I hunted unit 32 once and really liked it, close to things and a decent amount of land.
I’m headed to 32 this weekend to hunt for a week, it took 5 points to draw. Creep is getting crazy as tag quotas drop

I've still got time on my side for the long haul, so while I'm not chasing goats, sheep, or bear, deer and elk is still worth the effort for me. If it doesn't happen in '23, it won't break my heart. Right now I'm focused on just getting a foot in the door and figuring out which units are longshots/trophy units and which ones are realistic and offer opportunity.

Buy your PPs, don't listen to above or you will have no chance except a random draw.
Plenty of land to the West also you can hunt, only the NW corner has lots of wilderness.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back