wy unit 45 cow

Bhill552

So looking for a little help. My son drew a youth WY unit 45 cow elk tag. Its type 6 tag so we cant hunt on national forest land. We also have to avoid a very busy high school football schedule. Im thinking that we will be coming out the 1st or 2nd week of November.

This is the first elk hunt we've ever done. Actually Ive only ever seen 2 elk in the wild and they were during a antelope hunt. We've also never hunted mountains. So to say we are inexperienced would be an understatement.

Just looking for any advice/ help we can get. Ive been pouring over google earth and OnX maps and so far think we may focus on the area of tensleep/hyatville road in the cloud peak/ Renner area. Anyone ever been in this are and can confirm that elk may use it during that time period. Or am I completely off base. I found that its really hard to internet scout when you have no idea what to look for. Thanks in advance for any help.

I did talk to the biologist before applying. He was helpful but I didn't ask exact areas, I plan to call again closer tot he hunt. Thanks for the landowner info I hadn't found that before.

You need to watch what the weather is doing. If they get much snow the elk may all be off the national forest by then.

My understanding is you cannot hunt National Forest? Hyattville and Ten Sleep are a good distance apart as far as the drive goes. You probably wouldn't hunt those areas the same day.
As wytex stated there are private land opportunities in that unit.
Send me a private message if you want.

My understanding is you cannot hunt National Forest? Hyattville and Ten Sleep are a good distance apart as far as the drive goes. You probably wouldn't hunt those areas the same day.
As wytex stated there are private land opportunities in that unit.
Send me a private message if you want.
Hyattville and tensleep are about 20 min apart...definitely could hunt both in the same day on the BLM around those places.

Correct that we cant hunt national forest. So it will be a lower elevation hunt. I sent a PM.

I did talk to the biologist before applying. He was helpful but I didn't ask exact areas, I plan to call again closer tot he hunt. Thanks for the landowner info I hadn't found that before.
IMO calling biologists isn’t very helpful for hunts like this as your options of BLM, private, or WIA have the area narrowed down pretty well.

Hyattville and tensleep are about 20 min apart...definitely could hunt both in the same day on the BLM around those places.

Also, don't miss the brewery in Ten Sleep. One of my favorite places to sip a brew and look up the canyon. Beautiful spot!

I stand corrected. Yes, if a person is hunting BLM around Ten Sleep and Hyattville it is certainly doable. (I was deep into the Big Horns and when coming down and heading out to Hyattville to hunt east of there it was a commitment for me). Saw plenty of elk in both places though.

Back