Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WY Unit 38

how bad does the weather have to be before roads start closing? I have learned weather is a big issue for this tag. How is access at the game management areas?

What tag did you have? How did the hunt go? i drew the type 1 this year and am looking foward to my first hunt in the Big Horns.
I apologize for missing this. I even recently made a post, stating that I'd be more active in the forum and actually try to help a few folks out if I had info to share. Off to a great start, aren't I?. I had the type 1 tag and had a decent hunt, but it was mentally exhausting at times. I was there for 15 days. It dumped 24" of snow right before the opener, so the elk changed their routine fairly drastically. Hit me up via PM if you still have some questions.

Good luck on your hunt. I drew a type 1 tag this year in 38. I have heard about the weather issue but i just tell myself not every elk can go to private right away.
They don't necessarily ALL go to private, but they do head downhill and change behavior quickly.

I apologize for missing this. I even recently made a post, stating that I'd be more active in the forum and actually try to help a few folks out if I had info to share. Off to a great start, aren't I?. I had the type 1 tag and had a decent hunt, but it was mentally exhausting at times. I was there for 15 days. It dumped 24" of snow right before the opener, so the elk changed their routine fairly drastically. Hit me up via PM if you still have some questions.
Thanks for the reply! I don’t think I can PM you. I tried something but not sure it worked? I’m new to figuring out this forum. If you know how to PM send me one of you don’t mind and I will reply.

Thanks for the reply! I don’t think I can PM you. I tried something but not sure it worked? I’m new to figuring out this forum. If you know how to PM send me one of you don’t mind and I will reply.
The PM issue is probably on my end(I don't have 10 posts, but getting close!).

How did your hunt go?
The hunt went great. Me and the guy i was with both killed decent 6 points and a 3rd guy killed a giant mule deer for that area. Other hunters and the game warden were shocked that we found a mule deer of that size in that area. Rutting action was heavy for about the first week and bulls still were bugling and with cows the 2nd week. I noticed a lot of the things i heard about the elk habits when shooting started didnt seem true. My only complaint but would have to be the amount of people. Most people seemed to just be riding on the roads though.

Great job! That is a good deer for the area and glad to see some older bucks are starting to come back.

FWIW I was with my FIL who had an elk tag and the first 2 days we heard bugling, but after a shot rang out and it snowed on day 2, the elk were no longer vocal. We hunted the exact same area for the next 2 weeks and never heard a peep although we were in bulls every day. Interesting how similar areas can have such different experiences.

Last edited:

I appreciate the hunt write-ups. I just completed my first WY applications (type 1 and 6). I am targeting the bighorn units. Can you elaborate on the early snow and road conditions up high? Around 14? How common is that much snow by Oct 10-15? Was the snow only at a certain elevation? Just trying to game plan while I dream of a tag.

Back