WY NonRes Special vs. Trespass Fee?

crock239

After having had some success DIY CO elk hunting, archery and ML, now trying to set up our first WY antelope hunt as DIY for 2017.

Plan is to buy a PP this year so group will have 1PP. Have been on WGFD site and gohunt.com looking at drawing stats....looks like even in the NRES Special draw it could be a challenge to draw if not looking at a "limited access" unit in the eastern part of the state.

My question for you experienced WY antelope hunters -- better to try NRES Special draw luck or try to find private ground access (or navigate limited public access) in one of the eastern units?

Most of the limited access units have some public ground. We hunt a unit that is limited access and with time get a good buck. Those units might also have reasonable trespass fees. The farmers and ranchers in eastern wyoming welcome antelope hunters.

Be sure to cross check the list of limited access units with the Walk-In and Hunter Management Area lists...

If you can find a decent ranch in the units you can draw with 1PP in the regular draw and their fee is close to or less than the difference between the regular and special draw prices, it's not a bad idea to go the trespass fee route. However, it's doubtful that most decent ranches won't either charge a lot more than that or be tied up with an outfitter lease that rules it out. With a lot of homework and decent maps along with a landowner chip in your GPS a lot of the units that take no or 1 PP can be hunted successfully on the limited public lands.

I hunted a unit in NE WY with limited public land the past two years and will be returning again this year. Between a friend and myself we've shot 13", 15" and 17" bucks. We've also never spent more than 2 days actively hunting at a time. If you spend the time to look at the OnX/MyTopo/etc maps, make a couple calls to local GFD offices and are willing to hike a bit there is plenty of potential without getting into special draws or trespass fees. The 1st year we bought tags from the leftovers, last year the unit was a 2nd pick, and this year is on leftovers again.

Last edited:
thanks for the responses, guys, and tips on the limited lands access...I agree I think a trespass fee will be higher than the special draw. I feel fairly confident that once we have several units selected for options we can go through the WIA and HMA maps, follow up with biologists, etc. Will have GPS landowner chips, etc. as well regardless of unit.

Right now trying to ferret out which unit(s) the 1PP is most valuable in to narrow the search.....in the regular draw it looks like units where 1PP may be most beneficial might be 6, 9, 21, 26, 38, 113....if anyone has thoughts or experience in those areas shoot me a PM?

thanks for the thoughts charliebravo....that helps my psyche that we can have a good hunt even if we don't draw....all I really want is a good hunt with good friends....I read some posts the leftovers were going extremely fast and the purchasing site was bogged down....with a group of 4 I have a little concern about ensuring our whole group gets tags...guess we'll find out if we go that direction.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinerbt
Back